Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Family Christmas in Bavaria, Where should we stay?

Oct 7th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

We are a family currently living in the Provence region of France. My kids, 7 and 3, would love a white Christmas! We would be using our own car, so public transport is not a concern. My ideal would be to stay in a place where we could really experience a German Christmas--markets, castles, and festive decorations. I would like to be able to interact with the owner, but only speak English and (broken) French. We would also like to day-trip to Munich, Salzburg and other market towns. Any ideas on what would make our Christmas away from home perfect??
Oct 7th, 2007, 05:44 PM

I'd vote for Salzburg (although I know it's not in Germany!) You will not be guaranteed that it will be white, but there will be plenty of festive Christmas cheer and Salzburg is picture-perfect in any weather. Here's a prior thread that relates to your request:
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...2&tid=34979872

Oct 7th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

I am actually in need of accommodation suggestions. Farms? B&Bs? Family Inns?
Oct 7th, 2007, 06:45 PM

Check out this non-commercial website. Ben posts on the board often.

www.bensbauernhof.com

Oct 7th, 2007, 07:15 PM

"I would like to be able to interact with the owner, but only speak English"

Luckily for you, there are still 6 or more to practice some German.
Oct 7th, 2007, 07:21 PM

oops meant to say 6 weeks.
Oct 7th, 2007, 07:34 PM

Snow isn't always a certainty, but you'll maximize your chances in places like Berchtesgaden (not far from Salzburg), Garmisch, or Oberstdorf.

Try www.accommodation.de for whatever area you choose.
Oct 7th, 2007, 08:56 PM

this was posted in error on a London thread:

Author: cornhuskerspy
Date: 10/08/2007, 12:29 am

Try Hotel zum Turken in Berchtesgaden-Obersalzberg. The web site is not now active but you can access the telephone # by searching Berchtesgaden hotels. It is the singular remaining WWII hotel remiaing in Obersalzberg and the owner speaks english, loves Americans. For an absolute perfect Xmas zip over to Oberndorf, Austria where you can go to services in the little "Silent Night" church [where the song was written in `1815]. It snowed the Christmas we went in '86 and it was a magic evening.
Oct 7th, 2007, 09:56 PM

Try the website for farm holidays in Bavaria:
http://www.uadby.de/e/index.php

Most of these places are more like B&Bs, so you don't have to expect to sleep in the barn ;-)

Just repeating what other posters already said: It's more an exception from the rule to have White Christmas in Bavaria or Salzburg, no matter what the tourist authorities or Sound of Music will tell you

It can start to snow in early December, and you can have lots of snow in Salzburg or Berchtesgaden -- but it usually won't snow before January.

Only the higher elevations in Austria (or Switzerland) offer a good certainty to have a white Christmas.
Oct 7th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the helpful info!! I am checking out the links you sent already!!
And, just a note for L84sky. . .as an American living in France, I completely understand and respect the importance of interacting in a country's native language. I AM dong what I can to pick up some German basics in the next 6 weeks, but realistically, I know that our trip would be enhanced by being able to communicate, not just eek by. What I meant to write is that "I only speak English..." If you have any helpful recommendations about housing options for a Bavarian vacation, I'd love to hear them. Thanks
Oct 8th, 2007, 01:39 AM

I have something very special for you: Schloss Elmau.

The location is spectacular, surrounded by snow-covered mountains.

It is more than a hotel - it is a cosmopolitan event center (see their website to learn more). You will have endless options for interaction, also in English.

Besides, it is very family-friendly.

Check the website, Schloss Elmau is something different.

http://www.schloss-elmau.de/english/index.html
Oct 9th, 2007, 04:08 PM

Our family (who has also lived in Provence) has spent two Christmases in Bavaria and Austria, the first when our daughter was 6 and the second when she was 10. Our trips included time in the Bavarian Alps (where I'd suggest a base in Oberammergau or Garmisch) and then also in Salzburg. Both times we actually stayed in Salzburg for Christmas itself. I think you do want to stay in a larger place for Christmas Eve/Christmas Day, just to have more options of activities during those days. We thought Salzburg was a wonderful base, and I'd love to do that trip again.

Kathy

I have a photo album online of our last Christmas trip here: http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...22402&cat=3787. This will let you see more about our experience, including the weather conditions.
Oct 11th, 2007, 02:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much to everyone for their tips.

Kathy, it was great to look at your photos and get a feel for the area and weather. I really appreciate the perspective of other traveling parents! Also, thanks for the heads up on wanting to stay in the city for Christmas. I think we will do some more research into Salzburg! Where were you living in Provence?

Traveller 1959, you weren't kidding when you said that the schloss-elmau was something different! It looked beyond amazing. The year-round, wood heated, outdoor swimming pool took my breath away! Unfortunately, this spectacular hotel is out of our budget. Maybe we'll save this one for a get away without the kids someday!
Oct 13th, 2007, 05:44 AM

Our family spent 14 months traveling and living in Europe in 2004/2005. We lived in Bonnieux in the Luberon area of Provence for 6-1/2 months, beginning in October 2004. Our daughter went to the village school in Bonnieux. We absolutely loved Provence and go back a couple times a year.

Where are you in Provence? Much as I loved the Christmas experience in Germany and Austria, we also loved the Christmas we spent in Provence and the opportunity to experience those customs and traditions.

Kathy
Oct 14th, 2007, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Hi Kathy! We live in Villeneuve les Avignon, just across the Rhone from Avignon. We moved here in January and have really enjoyed it. We will only be here until March or so, at which point we will move to the Cherbourg area for another 6 months or so.
This may be our only Christmas here, so I am torn on whether to stay or travel. We are trying to balance seeing what we can during our short stay here and being present to where we live. Sound familiar?
Can you give us an idea as to what we will kick ourselves for not buying while we are here? We were just at a brocante marche today and loved the old paintings and antique chairs. We love kitchen things and have picked up a few pottery pieces as well as a few olive wood accents. We were toying with the idea of a Santon creche set because it is so regional. Any ideas? How about German/Austrian notions?
I really have enjoyed your perspective. It feels like we are leading similar lives a few years apart! Thanks again!
Kristin
Oct 14th, 2007, 10:52 AM

Salzburg would be a good location for you. We stayed at the BRISTOL HOTEL in June 2007 and would recommend this hotel to anyone. Great staff, friendly people, good advice.
Oct 15th, 2007, 07:15 AM

pgnewby,

Bavaria Ben's website is fantastic for farms and B&Bs. Consult it regularly.

MvK
Oct 23rd, 2007, 06:23 PM

Bookmarking