Family Acommodations in Europe.

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 09:33 AM
Mom

Family Acommodations in Europe.

Are there any sites which list exclusively hotels in Europe that accomodate 4 to a room? It's very difficult to determine which hotels do this since it seems it's the exception rather than the rule as it is here in the states. What about London, do most rooms have 2 doubles or is it like the rest of Europe where there is normally only one bed in the rooms. Thanks!

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 10:44 AM
Liz

You don't say how old the kids are, but if they are teenagers, consider getting 2 rooms. You'll have the advantage of 2 bathrooms and privacy.

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 11:41 AM
martine

All the Novotel chain hotels (from the Accor group) have familyrooms (4 pers). 1 double bed and 2 single beds.
Other hotels can also have familyrooms, but it depends. You can check it out at www.accorhohel.com or www.novotel.com

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 01:14 PM
Mom

The kids are 12 and 10, and I'd love to get 2 rooms Liz, but we don't have an unlimited budget. A trip to Europe for a family is expensive enough, without the additional cost of 2 rooms every night!

martine, I'll check out those websites, thanks.

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 01:17 PM
gb

We've been that same position. 2 rooms really affects the budget. I found Rick Steves to be particulary helpful in noting whether or not rooms have quads. We found that the Forte Travelodges and TravelInn frequently had rooms for 4 in Great Britain. Again, they aren't quaint, but they are clean, safe, and economical. Where else are you looking? I might know a few others.

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 01:17 PM
ann

We spent three weeks in Europe (Austria, Italy and France) last summer and had quad rooms the entire time. It wasn't that hard to find them but it took a little digging. Any of the major accomodation sites (venere, hotels.com, places-to-stay.com, etc) will state which hotels have quads. Actually the majority do, but they may only have one or two quad rooms. We were very pleased with all our rooms, average price was about $130 a night including breakfast - and that included venice and Rome which were more than other places. I just went to google and typed in "hotels in ___" and the name of each city and that brought up many accomodation finding sites. Some were easier to work with than others, and I only reserved with hotels that included an email address so I could confirm the reservation just before we went. I did make the reservation through the accomodation sites though. No problems with any of the 12 hotels we stayed at. Many were small family run places, you don't have to limit yourself to big chains. And we did find it cheaper to book quads than two doubles.

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 02:16 PM
Me2

Although not as charming, most of the American chains will allow a family of four in the one room which usually does have two double beds.
The Novotel sounds interesting; I'd check it out. We also used Aparthotels, which is a chain. It was convenient to have a converted apartment, but not the most luxurious accomodations ever. Good Luck! You'll hardly be in the room anyway! Have a wonderful trip.

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 05:18 AM
Mom

Thanks for all you'r help. I'll look into those suggestions. I haven't narrowed it down yet as to which countries or cities, it depends on how much time we'll have. We will definitely rent a villa in Tuscany for a week, which is surprisingly economical, but I needed a few nights in Rome, and on the Amalfi coast, so far. I don't know if we'll do Northern Italy as we've spent a good amount of time there already (just my husband and I), but I was thinking of doing London as well. Don't know if we can swing that yet. Thanks.

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 05:26 AM
Liz

Don't want you to think "unlimited funds" are required for 2 rooms:

We traveled to Paris and Vienna in June, 2002. Got a double for my husband and me, and a single for our son. Never spent more than $100. per night.

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 05:29 AM
Susan

We are planning a trip to Rome/Florence/Venice this February and also traveling with 2 kids. I would love to get the names of the hotels that Ann stayed at in Venice and Rome. Two rooms would be great, but we also are looking to save money!
Thanks!