Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Familia Hotel in Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/familia-hotel-in-paris-405456/)

ozzietex Mar 1st, 2004 01:53 PM

Familia Hotel in Paris

I've searched extensively for 2* accommodation in gay Paree & am now confused as to which one to take. Familia Hotel is a small guest house with loads of charm...atleast it looks that way on their website.
Has anyone heard of this hotel or stayed there? I'm travelling solo, female & 55. Prefer charm, small and central.

Lesli Mar 1st, 2004 02:16 PM

I you type "Familia" into the text box at the top of this forum, you'll find plenty of feedback re this hotel (and on the same threads, some similarly-priced options.)

Lesli Mar 1st, 2004 02:25 PM

It appears there is also a hotel with this name in spain. To narrow your results, type "Familia AND Paris" into the text box.

stormygirl Mar 1st, 2004 02:30 PM

My mom and I stayed there 3 years ago. It is not a guest house, definately a small hotel. We liked it, great location, small but well appointed rooms. There was another woman that we spoke to who was traveling on her own and she said she felt very safe.

Barb Mar 1st, 2004 02:34 PM

I walked by this hotel a few times when I was in Paris last year and decided to stay there this Sept. Met a couple in D'Orsay who were staying there and they highly recommended it.

Nikki Mar 1st, 2004 03:10 PM

I stayed at the Familia Hotel two years ago with my daughter. We really liked the location in the Latin Quarter, great bakeries nearby and lots of interesting restaurants. A good street market a couple blocks away by the Maubert metro station. Easy metro connections on several lines.

There was considerable street noise which was not noticeable when the windows were closed. Our room was quite small with little storage area. Very small bathroom. Nice handpainted mural on the wall. Television mounted on the wall. Nice breakfast room, but you can save money on breakfast by getting better croissants from the bakeries.

ozzietex Mar 1st, 2004 03:14 PM

WOW! Thank you all very much for your quick replies. I've booked it!

francophile03 Mar 1st, 2004 03:23 PM

This hotel doesn't have a/c in case you are going during summer; if not then it won't be any problem.

AnneO Mar 1st, 2004 05:31 PM

We stayed there in Oct 2002...good location, clean, nice people, but by far the smallest room I've ever seen! Two twin beds, one pushed to one wall, the other about a foot away from the opposite wall, which left about 2 feet between the beds. Less than a foot between the end of one bed and the closet & desk (the chair for the desk was in the closet...no other place for it!). I think we must have had the smallest room in the place, because others who stayed there didn't have this complaint, and other rooms we peeked into when doors were opened didn't seem so small. The price they quoted us included breakfast, but I would check to see if you can get a better price without... the breakfast wasn't that great.

Anne

RebeccaM Mar 1st, 2004 06:01 PM

In 1990, I discovered the Familia while walking around the neighborhood. My son, then 15, and I stayed there when we came back to Paris from the south. We really liked it. It seemed luxurious to us in comparison to the Plaisant Hotel (no longer there, I guess), where we stayed when we first arrived in Paris, with its very tiny rooms and the wc in the hall, with no TV. In June my husband and I are going to stay at the Familia again. I will be glad to be there again, with good memories of the time with my son.