Hello all -
I'm hoping not to sound too ignorant in posting very broad stroke questions here.
My fiance and I are in the very initial steps of planning a wedding in Ireland next fall (late September or October), hopefully just after the high travel season ends. We are both Americans and will probably be traveling with around 40 of our close friends and family. We are hoping to make this a fun 5-day travel adventure that also happens to include a low key Catholic wedding in a somewhat quaint Irish town. Our “fantasy” wedding would go something like this:
-Catholic wedding in a small church (already in touch with our local priest here)
-Reception in a nice restaurant (first choice) or perhaps catered in a room where we are staying (second choice)
-A night of revelry with music, dancing, and a few (or many) pints – perhaps at a local pub
We’re not really sure if we’re being too simplistic with that scenario. Neither of us have spent much time in Ireland – I’ve been to Dublin and Kilkenny; he’s never stepped foot in the country. My roots are in Donegal, but we’re thinking we should stick to a region closer to Dublin or Shannon (to keep travel time and expenses down, where possible).
So, I suppose I’m looking to see if anyone has suggestions about cities, towns, regions that we should consider right off? Like I mentioned, we are in the very beginning stages of planning, but we would love to go somewhere that has a good mix of being in a “quintessential” Irish town (with 40 friends) and being able to take a day-trip or two to take in some of Ireland’s wonder. I’m intrigued by what I’ve read of the Dingle Peninsula or Cliffs of Moher… but we would also be satisfied by a trip to one of the many castles.
(Oh, and we also need to fit in a golf outing… I get the impression that courses are pretty easy to find, but my Dad would disown me if I happened to pick out a place that is nowhere near a golf course!)
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Easter Week in Italy
- 2 10 Days in May: Switzerland Itinerary Help
- 3 Moscow Hotels
- 4 Rome Hotel
- 5 Four Nights in Nice--What should we do?
- 6 Getting around Lisbon
- 7 Lisbon stay - Olissippo Lapa Palace vs NH Collection Lisboa Liberdade
- 8 Greece -- Alternative to Athens
- 9 Overwhelmed with planning! Need help from Italy experts.
- 10 1st Birthday Party in Italy questions
- 11 London: Stunning New American Embassy
- 12 Trains - website?
- 13 First time italy, 12 nights. What to do
- 14 Winter ... UK Finland Sweden. (Live...ish)
- 15 Drive from Paris to Mont St Michael
- 16 Spain.... 2.5 Weeks... Need Help!
- 17 Paris November 2017
- 18 X-mas Eve dinner in Rome
- 19 Spain in 2018
- 20 Can only visit one (maybe two) cities. Which one?
- 21 Planning a Trip from DC to Anywhere in Europe (Budget Friendly)
- 22 Italy: Hotels on the Amalfi Coast; Orvieto; Perugia; Florence; and Siena
- 23 Christmas week in Ireland
- 24 Is the scenery in South Italy worth the trip by train
- 25 Which Aran Island??
Hello all -