Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Fall vs. Summer Clothing (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/fall-vs-summer-clothing-357048/)

leslieo Sep 10th, 2003 12:46 PM

Fall vs. Summer Clothing

Hi,
I leave for Italy on 9/28 (Milan, Venice, Florence, Umbria) for 2 weeks and I am wondering about what type of clothing to pack? This is mainly a fashion question, not so much a practical one. Will it be warm enough to still wear transistional summer clothing..short sleeves & open toed shoes or should I pack my boots and lightweight sweaters? Since we are really there in October should I pack more fall like clothing or is summer clothing ok? I am thinking a mix probably is the way to go. Is anyone else having this problem? Any thoughts would be helpful, before I drive myself crazy! Thanks.

m_kingdom Sep 10th, 2003 12:50 PM

wear t-shirts, shoes, etc. from a fall collection, or if you wat summer clothes. Just wear what you feel comfortable in, people aren't looking at you.

Lesli Sep 10th, 2003 12:54 PM

http://www.weatherbase.com/

I tend to wear dark colors anyway, so I'd probably bring a mix of transitional and lightweight fall clothing. When I was last in Italy in early October, it was fairly warm during the day and cooler in the evenings, so I used both.

Jennie Sep 10th, 2003 12:58 PM

Topping because I'm going to be there at exactly the same time (9/28-10/9) and have been wondering the same thing.

leslieo, right now I have packed some light wool black slacks, some medium weight khaki slacks and some pretty light weight grey long-ish capris (the hit me a little above my ankle as opposed to just below my knee). Shirts-wise I have several medium weight long-sleeved shirts with one short sleeved shirt. I also will be bringing a cardigan sweater as well as a heavier jacket.

In my case, we'll be in London and Paris before heading to Italy, and it's supposed to be somewhat cooler up there.

Jennie :)

lulu1929 Sep 10th, 2003 06:03 PM

I have been having the same problem with clothing. I am leaving Sunday the 14th of September.My suit case is sitting and I am reading weather reports. My first stop is Positano. I will have to pack by Saturday. I quess Ill go with half summer and half Fall.

leslieo Sep 10th, 2003 06:42 PM

Well, I am glad to see I am not the only one with this dilemma. Thanks for your thoughts. From what I have selected, I think I will be doing a mix of both. Best wishes to all for a great trip.

Betsy Sep 10th, 2003 06:53 PM

For our trip to Italy two years ago in late September thru October, I packed a mix of lighter weight and heavier weight stuff. Italy was hot, hot, hot the whole time we were there. I wished for tee shirts and my swimsuit. The heavier clothes never left the suitcase, and I was sick of the lighter ones by the time I got home. My new packing motto is "whatever I pack it'll be wrong." By the way, I'm usually an optimistic person :-)

leslieo Sep 10th, 2003 07:08 PM

Hi Betsy,
I have been thinking about adding a bathing suit. We are staying @ a house in Umbria that has a pool, so maybe I'll be able to use it! Thanks,
Leslie

cmt Sep 10th, 2003 07:26 PM

I'm usually hot when I travel. I'll pack summer weight clothes, but I'll be ready to layer them (e.g., long-sleeved linen shirt over a light short-sleeved knit top). That's a practical solution, not a fashion-conscious one. I'll take dark (black or dark blue) pants and skirt, but mostly light or medium colored tops. I do not wear black constantly. The only really warm items I'll take will be a cardigan (either polartec or light wool blend) and a Gortex rain jacket. Those two items over a summer top should be warm enough for any unseasonably cold weather.

sandi_travelnut Sep 11th, 2003 06:58 AM

I've been to Italy in the sept/oct and oct/nov timeframes. Both times the weather can be fairly warm in the mid 70s (F) during the day and pretty cool at night. Early mornings are cool so I usually put a wool sweater over a short-sleeve shirt so that when it turns warm you can remove your sweater. Layer-layer! It also gives you a great excuse to shop for a beautiful scarf/shawl that you can wrap around your shoulders during your evening stroll.

Ronda Sep 11th, 2003 09:16 AM

I'm leaving for Venice, Milan, and Barcelona on Sept. 24. and am also having the same problem deciding what to bring. I have put all the clothes I would "want" to bring together, will watch the weather, and add or subtract from the section (hanging in my closet).

When we planned this trip I thought it would be cool and thus the decision of clothing would be easy - dark clothes, shoes, and a leather jacket.

Ronda Sep 11th, 2003 09:19 AM

I have also been watching the web cam in Venice and every day looks absolutely beautiful. Wish I could see the people better.

http://www.venicebanana.com/eng/webcam.htm