Reload this Page >

Falconry demonstration at castle Maus,Germany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 1999, 07:33 AM
nickie

Got back from Germany a few weeks ago, and just wanted to share a delightful experience with you. Of eight guidebooks, only one listed a brief reference to this: A few minutes north of St. Goarhausen in Wellnich (a ferry ride across from the more popular St. Goar) you can take an easy walk up to Burg Maus and enjoy the demonstrations (twice a day) of eagles and falcons being sent out over the lovely castle to fly out high over the Rhine river. Although you can't visit the castle, the walk up was gorgeous and quiet, and sitting on a stone bench in front of the castle looking dreamily out over the Rhine, you could almost believe you lived there. The walk is about twenty to forty minutes. There were not many people, and no other Americans. When one of the falconers found out that my partner was a non-German speaking American, she took special effort to quietly explain facts to him in English, even showing him a two day old eagle. They also bring out a huge horned owl for the children (and children at heart) to pet.There is also a small cafe there, where you may get a snack before the demonstration begins.

Old Jun 30th, 1999, 10:03 AM
Richard

nickie, We enjoyed the same sort of show at Burg Hohenwerfen in Werfen, Austria. We too had a couple standing next to us who kindly translated. Unlike Burg Maus, this castle is open for visitors (guided tours as I recall, but with a booklet in English available). Did you happen to notice the reward the falcons and eagles receive?

Old Jun 30th, 1999, 09:44 PM
nickie

Uh, gummi bears, right?

Old Jul 1st, 1999, 11:23 AM
April

Gummi Bears - is that for real? Anyway, thanks for this fascinating posting. Now you've gone and made me want to go to Germany! <BR>

Old Jul 2nd, 1999, 10:00 AM
nickie

Sorry April, I was being silly. They feed them chicken- not live- (but you can't really see). However, if someone in the audience is foolish enough to be eating anything, the birds will also help themselves.The birds are either being trained to hunt for themselves, or are unable to be rehabilitated into the wild for one reason or another, and are truly magnificent.