Fairmont Rey Juan Carols I Barcelona?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2015, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any thoughts? My Presidents' Club membership allowed me to get an excellent deal here for August. I noticed the hotel is under renovation. I also notice that it mentions a shuttle to the city center. I haven't been to Barcelona in 15 years but am pretty sure I would probably want to stay near las ramblas, boqueria etc. This rate is tempting though. What do you guys think?

Last time I was there I stayed at the Avenida Palace. This time a few friends recommended Ofelias and expedia keeps bringing me to Hotel Moderno but reviews keep mentioning not so great air conditioning and that is a deal breaker for me.

If I were told that the Fairmont were great and the location walkable to everything, I would jump on it.
Old Jun 23rd, 2015, 07:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I stayed in the Avenida once as well (before it became something else) and I know that area and I also like staying near, and often on, Las Ramblas (opera lover).

The Fairmont is a good three miles from the Placa Catalunya; you could get there by Metro on a slightly roundabout routing.

Up to you, obviously, in terms of what matters most. Of course, when you mention the dreaded Las Ramblas around HERE the horrified responses and warnings about noise, etc., etc., come rolling in.
Old Jun 23rd, 2015, 07:45 AM

It's a terrific hotel if you're organising a conference and you want everyone in the same place.

Apart from anything else, there's absolutely no reason for thinking you're not in Darmstadt or Cincinnati and the place is well run. There's a handful of quite nice restaurants within a half-mile walk, the area's safe to walk around, it's handy for the metro and Barcelona cabs are cheap and professional.

Quite literally though: I'll only stay there if someone is paying me.
Old Jun 23rd, 2015, 08:41 AM

To begin with, keep away from Expedia for hotels in Barcelona, or anywhere else in Europe. Check booking.com to see what's available within your budget.

As noted, the Rey Juan Carols I is far from anywhere you'd want to stay if wanting to do any sightseeing, but great for visiting Camp Nou.
Old Jun 23rd, 2015, 09:29 AM

I just compare rates, I just booked a Parisian hotel on Expedia because the rate was cheaper than booking.com
and cheaper than the hotel's own website. I don't see the issue. I have even contacted the hotel to make sure they got the reservation and to make room requests, and they were perfectly pleasant with me and made notes of what I wanted. Hotels are on Expedia because they agree to be.
Old Jun 23rd, 2015, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! This was super helpful. I have decided against it. Not a fan of Cincinnati lol

I am looking at Ofelias hotel instead. Friends just came back and loved it. Pity not to be able to use my Fairmont upgrades but I'd rather be closer!