Favorite things to do in York

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to be in York on the 18th-20th, and was just wondering what people considered their favorite things to do there (I've already got walking on the city walls, the minster, the castle museum, the railway museum, and the yorkshire museum down). I tried to search on the forums, but York gets hard to look for because it's part of "New York," which just messes everything up. Thanks!
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:42 AM

It's years since I was there, but the Jorvik Viking Centre was worth a visit, I thought. http://www.jorvik-viking-centre.co.uk/

Also, the area of York called the Shambles are good to wander around.

See also
http://www.york-tourism.co.uk/ for general information.

And for the forum, try searching for York with the United Kingdom search box highlighted - I think that will avoid most of the New York posts.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:43 AM

Well you've already listed the major things. If you walk a few minutes outside of the city gate (the one closest to the Minster)through a park, there are the ruins of an old Abbey. The best view of the minster is from the top floor of the Marks and Spencer store. It was amazing to see how huge the Minster is. From the ground you can't see the whole thing at once. Will you be visiting anywhere else in the area? As a day trip from York we did a loop which took us to Whitby and Robin Hood Bay (coastal towns) through the moors (great in August, might not be so interesting in march) and to Riveaux Abbey which was incredible.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

I won't have a car, and since I'll only be there for a few days (2.5 really), I figure there's not much point in trying to do daytrips. Thanks for the tips, though.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:26 AM

We always have lunch at Betty's - It's been in York (and Harrowgate) forever. It's right downtown and the food is fabulous.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:29 AM

oops. Make that Harrogate!
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:15 AM

Hi
I live near York, and it sounds like you are pretty much sorted. The tourist board site is good though -
www.york-tourism.co.uk
I also like www.itchyyork.co.uk
In the evenings you might enjoy one of the York ghost walks.
There are also boat rides along the river. ((Yorkboat)
I've been to the York Opera House several times - maybe there's something on there to interest you. It's right near the centre of the town. Also the Theatre Royal.
There are loads of good restaurants. Cafe Concerto is excellent for a lunchtime snack. In the evening the Blue Bicycle (located in an old brothel) is well recommended.
www.cafeconcerto.biz
www.thebluebicycle.com
Betty's is best for afternoon tea and cakes. It also does an excellent selection of teas, coffees, biscuits etc which make wonderful gifts.
I can't get enthusiastic about the Jorvik museum, but I could easily spend hours (and sometimes do!) in the Railway Museum. Excellent gift shop in there as well. Don't miss the Royal trains. Only criticism of the place is the food in there - expensive and not that good. Best to buy food and take a picnic to eat in it (there's a dedicated picnic area in the Museum).
Have a wonderful time.
M

Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:17 AM

Here's one of the Ghostwalk websites.
www.ghosthunt.co.uk
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 12:30 PM
ed

Our hotel the first time we went to York was just across the river from the Railway Museum. My wife had trouble gettng me out. 'Twas wonderful.

The section of wall from the gate just by the Minster to the next gate is well worth the walk . :-B
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 01:00 PM

Walking on top of the walls on the walking path...the Minster of course and the preppy prep school behind it...and the National Rail Museum right by the train station - i'm a rail buff but anyone may find something of interest here like Royal trains mentioned above - believe museum is free now - and the York train station's cavernous iron shed is one of the finest in the UK.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 02:03 PM

Well, I didn't read every post closely, but I didn't see a recommendation for the Shambles. I found it pretty interesting when I was there. Here is an article about it:

britainexpress.com/cities/york/shambles.htm
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 02:26 PM

Evensong at Yorkminster.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 04:13 PM
vcl

Second the recommendation for Evensong at the Minster. The boat trip is a pleasant way to spend an evening after a hard day's walking.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 04:30 PM

Evensong at the Minster and Betty's--you can't go wrong. We found the Castle Museum fascinating and enjoyed Jorvik Viking Centre. I hope the daffodils are in bloom for you.