Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Factory Outlets (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/factory-outlets-201021/)

Ian Apr 16th, 2002 01:15 PM

Factory Outlets

Next weekend April 20/21 BBC World is running a travel program which includes something on Factory outlets in Italy. Look up www.bbcworld.com to find the program hours in your time zone.

CAgal Apr 16th, 2002 06:35 PM

Ian, will you summarize it for us Italophiles over here "across the pond" who don't have access to BBC?<BR><BR>Thank you!

slick1 Apr 16th, 2002 06:39 PM

I love factory outlets. There are good ones in Burlington-NC, Gatlinburg-Tenn, and Wytheville-VA.

beth Apr 16th, 2002 06:42 PM

What are Factory Outlets?

Ian Apr 17th, 2002 11:50 PM

It was a bit disappointing as the part of the program dedicated to Italy (or more specifically Tuscany) covered the Dolce & Gabbana and Prada outlets (only!), taking the waters at Montecatini and Greve and thereabouts. The Greve subsection included the Macelleria Falorni, wine tasting at Castello di Verrazzano and getting a pair of shoes made at a place 10 minutes outside of the town - this place I don't know of: can anyone help on this?<BR>Discounts available at Dolce & Gabbana at 40-50% below Italian shop prices and 50-60% below UK prices and on top of this US residents can still get the sales tax back which takes almost 17% off the net price. Prada prices were stated as higher but the presenter wasn't that specific. But bargains are still to be found.<BR>This factory outlet business around Florence is becoming really big but there is a lot of imprecise and incomplete info flowing around. I have decided to produce a definitive listing of the main outlets giving all the info you may need including opening hours, telephone numbers, detailed maps etc etc. I will produce this in word format and expect to have the first version ready in about 10 days or so. If anyone is interested just email me direct and I will send it to you as soon as ready. Let me know if there are any specific names that interest you or any specific info you wish included. Once finished I will send it to Fodors themselves and maybe they will stick it permanently somewhere.

christina Apr 18th, 2002 01:46 AM

ciao ian<BR><BR>i guess this 10 minutes out of greve shoe factory is carlo fagiani in panzano. i once was there to pick up some shoes for someone. well..... i still prefer buying my shoes at st. cloud in figline valdarno. better service, nicer owner and good quality for a normal price. <BR><BR>tanti saluti<BR><BR>christina

Gabriela Apr 19th, 2002 05:54 AM

while we're talking about this, anyone know of factory outlets near naples and/or rome?

Gabriela Apr 19th, 2002 06:49 AM

while we're talking about this, anyone know of factory outlets near naples and/or rome?

Joanne Apr 19th, 2002 07:40 AM

FYI<BR><BR>Just checked the web site Ian gave and for those of you with digital cable, living in the Pacific time zone, the program is on at 8:30 pm, Saturday night.<BR><BR>j

JJ Apr 19th, 2002 07:02 PM

Has anyone been to the Burberry outlet in London, and if so, were there any bargains?