Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Extremely overwhelmed with Ireland itinerary! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/extremely-overwhelmed-with-ireland-itinerary-459686/)

ilovelabs2003 Jul 14th, 2004 08:42 AM

Extremely overwhelmed with Ireland itinerary!

I know that our summer 05 plans have changed three times and that I have asked questions about England and Italy, but we are definitely going to Ireland now b/c of my friend's wedding. Don't worry, your comments did not go to waste . . . I have copious notes on England and Italy for future trips!

We will probably fly into Shannon, and the wedding will be in Killarney. If we arrive on Wednesday before the wedding, will that give us time to explore that area (Killarney, Kerry, Dingle)?

I guess I am just not certain where to go. I love the idea of rolling hills, farms, seaside villages, etc. I know that covers a lot of Ireland, but I am a novice, please don't make fun! We definitely want to go the B&B route, not hotels, except in Dublin. We would like to end the trip in Dublin (3 days?) and fly back to Boston from there. I guess I am figuring a total trip of about two and a half weeks (this includes the time before the wedding).

So, can anyone propose an itinerary? I know this is asking a lot, but I have the Fodor's guidebook to Ireland next to me and am SO overwhelmed! Thanks in advance!

djkbooks Jul 14th, 2004 08:50 AM

See www.irelandexpert.com

Fabulous resource for planning a trip to Ireland.

buongiorno Jul 14th, 2004 09:32 AM

There are numerous Ireland trip reports here that you can search out. We went to Ireland this past May and if you have two and half weeks you should have plenty of time to explore the country. I don't have an atlas handy but Massachusetts is probably bigger than Ireland.

ilovelabs2003 Jul 14th, 2004 10:45 AM

Thanks for the website. I have been reading some of the reports. It looks like the wedding is being held in a nice area. Also, I read that someone drove from Dublin to Galway in 3 hours, so at least I know that Dublin is not TOO far away!

mkdiebold Jul 14th, 2004 08:08 PM

My husband and I were first-timers to Ireland this summer. A couple of important lessons we learned that you should keep in mind when planning your itinerary... #1 Driving is difficult! It will take you longer than you think to get from spot to spot. Interior roads are good and you can clip along at a pretty good speed. The closer you drive towards the coast, the worse the roads become...very narrow, enclosed by stonewalls, and definitely not straight. If you want to have a relaxing time, don't drive anymore than you absolutely have to in any one day. #2 If you want to enjoy the night life in a city, then stay within walking distance to the city center. Many B&B's are located 10-12 km outside the center. You can't drink Guinness and drive safely. Have a good time!