Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   EXTRA SECURITY, BAD PHOTOS (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/extra-security-bad-photos-192941/)

amy Sep 29th, 2001 11:07 PM

EXTRA SECURITY, BAD PHOTOS

just back from a trip to italy from london and most of my film has been affected by extra x-raying at the airports now in effect. i carried the film in both hand luggage and checked bags and it didn't matter, all were affected, although one roll came out so bad i had to take it to a special lab to be printed and it's very, very dark. <BR> <BR>i've now been warned to buy film at the airport and have it processed before coming home. <BR> <BR>just wanted to warn anyone travelling through major airports that this could be a real problem. <BR> <BR>anyone have similar experience or suggestions?

s.fowler Sep 30th, 2001 02:57 AM

I had been wondering about this. While I have usually taken my own film, I have, on occasion, had them developed in Europe. There are plenty of 1 hour places [even in Skopje, Macedonia!] for the average tourist -- but for those of you who like to use professional processing I guess times have changed:( I would be interested in more reports.

amy Sep 30th, 2001 03:46 AM

s- <BR>yes, you are right about 1 hour places-especially in big cities. trouble is i do like to use a custom lab and i'd assume like most other folks-with all there is to do in a new place you hardly have time to get all the sights in never mind leave time to drop off and pick up processed film! but, perhaps this is what life will now be like.

Beth Anderson Sep 30th, 2001 06:09 AM

things to keep in mind: <BR> <BR>I have ben told by pro photogs that as long as the negative was not damaged, having a 1 hour place won't hurt your final result. in other words, your prints from them may not stun you, but, if you at least like the composition or think it's a good shot, take it to your pros after you get home & they will make another (better) print. <BR> <BR>bear in mind that you should then make sure your negatives are hand searched - hand them to the security people instead of letting them go through the machines. <BR> <BR>other option - your big bag of used film (I know MY bag is big)... put it completely separate from everything, and hand it to them to search, instead of putting it on the conveyor. <BR> <BR>My guess is, if you use a lead bag, they are gonna search that bag ANYWAY given what it will look like on their monitor, may as well save them and you, time? <BR> <BR>right? <BR> <BR>Beth

Beth Anderson Sep 30th, 2001 06:10 AM

it's early. not only does my typing bite, so does my grammar. SORRY! <BR> <BR>:-)

BTilke Sep 30th, 2001 10:17 AM

For those traveling in France and Belgium, the FNAC chain does a good job developing photos. I get the next day (not one hour) service, the larger size and glossy ("brilliant") rather than matte finish. It's not as good as my favorite custom lab in Portland, OR, but they do a careful job. Prices are comparable to any good developing house in the states. <BR>BTilke (Brussels)

amy Oct 1st, 2001 08:40 AM

topping

Vita Oct 1st, 2001 08:47 AM

Any advice for places to develop in Rome of Florence?

Sheila Oct 1st, 2001 11:23 AM

What about using the lead bags? Is the xray strong enough to damage the film in the lead bags? I have used them in the past but it was before Sept. 11.

dan woodlief Oct 1st, 2001 11:40 AM

I would suggest, as I often do, taking a look at www.photo.net, but at this moment it is down. I was just looking at it last week in regards to lead bags, which I have not used in the past. The discussions are interesting and informative, but they didn't lead me to a clear conclusion. Do a search on the site's search engine. There are also lots of travelogues by the owner of the site, in which he sometimes talks about labs in other countries, or his perceived lack thereof. It seems that some people mail their undeveloped film back by FedEx and other services that supposedly don't x-ray film. Have been considering this option myself, but I am wondering if it is worth the time to do it. I don't subscribe to the theory that anyone can develop film and the expertise is in the printing. I have had too many negatives scratched and other assorted problems to believe it. Plus, it would cost a heck of a lot of money for me to get reprints in any quantity from a good lab back at home if I get the developing done in Europe.