Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Extra pair of shoes or sweater? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/extra-pair-of-shoes-or-sweater-206378/)

Jn Apr 26th, 2002 04:40 AM

Extra pair of shoes or sweater?

We will be in Germany next week. With the weather outlook in the upper 50s and possible rain, would we I be better off bringing a second pair of shoes or a sweater. Packing light will mean one or the other must go. Will have light jacket and long sleeve shirts. Any recommendations are appreciated

amy Apr 26th, 2002 04:48 AM

First Suggestion: Silk Underwear! Takes up no room in the suitcase and adds no bulk when you wear it. I remember arguing with kids and husband to pack it years ago...now it miraculously finds its way into their suitcases without my harangue. <BR><BR>Second suggestion: Polarfleece zip vest. The girls and I have some attractive versions that are very flat and add oodles of warmth to light jackets.<BR><BR>Third suggestion: 99cent rain ponchos. Have actually worn them over jackets not to keep dry but just to add wind protection on a really bad day.<BR><BR>Can't tell you anything about the shoes. I don't know what you've packed or what you're adding.

elaine Apr 26th, 2002 04:58 AM

Jn<BR>Couldn't you wear the sweater or jacket on the plane and not have to give one up?<BR>Silk underwear is a great idea, just hope you can easily get it on short notice. Various on-line catalogs sell it.

bring both? Apr 26th, 2002 11:03 AM

Definetly bring a second pair of shoes! Nothing can ruin your day/trip quicker than feet problems (blisters, wet shoes, etc.). Having said that... can't you wear the sweater on the plane? Believe me, I'm all for packing light (!) but I'd skip something else to bring both these items. Another approach, skip the sweater, but be prepared to buy one in Germany if you find you need it (great souvenier!).

janis Apr 26th, 2002 11:10 AM

If you can't fit in a pair of shoes AND a sweater, your bag is probably too full. You need to leave a little space for treasures to bring home so it shouldn't be stuffed to the max on the way over.<BR><BR>Wear several layers on the plane - silk underwear, light blouse, sweater and a jacket (which you can place in the overhead if you are too warm) That way you have room for plenty in the rollaboard or duffle you carry on.

denise Apr 26th, 2002 11:35 AM

What's this talk of silk underwear? Is this warmer than my cotton ones? I must be missing something. Denise

pca Apr 26th, 2002 11:42 AM

People are talking about silk *long* underwear. Takes up almost no space, weighs almost nothing, isn't bulky under your clothes, and dries almost instantaneously. Doesn't add as much warmth as the kind of high-tech stuff you'd need for an Arctic expedition, but is great for normal travel. I don't leave home without it.

Denise Apr 26th, 2002 11:56 AM

Ah, thanks for the info pca. Anywhere special where these can be purchased? Sounds perfect for me because I get cold easily.<BR>Denise

xxx Apr 26th, 2002 11:57 AM

Extra cotton sweater is always a good idea (especially when dining outside in the evening). But silk underwear? Trust me, I live in Germany & you won't be needing that at this time of year. Enjoy your trip!

pca Apr 26th, 2002 12:20 PM

Denise -- You can get it from REI, LL Bean, Lands End, and similar catalog places.<BR><BR>I don't use it just in freezing weather. I actually find it more useful when I'm going someplace with a changeable climate and don't want to drag along a heavy jacket. In Hamburg this week, lows are forecast to get down to 1C, with highs only about 10C, so I'll be bringing mine.

Ellen Apr 26th, 2002 12:35 PM

I'd never take a long a cotton sweater, or anything else heavy and cotton, like jeans -- they just take too long to dry if you have to wash them.

carolyn Apr 26th, 2002 12:46 PM

If I can use a brand name, Dillards and other large U.S. department stores carry a silk underwear called Cuddle Duds. I love mine.

janis Apr 26th, 2002 12:54 PM

Cuddle Duds are great - I especially like the bermuda shorts-length bottoms - great under slacks or skirts. JC Penney also sells them. But Cuddle Duds are not silk. They are very soft and fairly warm - but about 3 times the bulk of true silk. A neat thing about silk long underwear (besides being so soft and warm) is the tops are usually nicely finished and can be worn as a top under a a jacket, shawl or sweater so they do double duty as under or outer wear.

elaine Apr 26th, 2002 12:57 PM

Regarding the silk underwear, I just buy the tops, not the bottoms. <BR>I find that tights/pantyhose are usually enough under my slacks if it's cold out.<BR>The catalog I've ordered from is called Winter Silks, and I buy the Ultra thin<BR>weight with 3/4 sleeves and a scoop neckline that doesn't show under most other tops.

denise Apr 26th, 2002 12:58 PM

Can these silk underwear pieces be put in a dryer or are they drip dry? Denise

elvira Apr 26th, 2002 01:06 PM

Take the shoes. It's easier to buy an extra sweater that fits than a pair of shoes (and usually a lot cheaper).

janis Apr 26th, 2002 04:49 PM

denise: The good silk ones are very quick dry - you don't need to put them in a dryer (I wouldn't risk it anyway). Wash them out in the basin and they easily dry over night. If there is any dampness left - just place them on the heated towel rail or radiator for a few minutes.

pca Apr 26th, 2002 04:55 PM

Denise -- To add to what Janis said, you shouldn't put silk in the dryer unless it's on an air-only (NO heat) setting. If you roll your silk things in a towel after hand-washing them, they'll dry even faster than fast. <BR>

rand Apr 26th, 2002 05:49 PM

A message from the great white north. Up here us guys know about silk long underwear. If the weather is cool, it probably will not need to be washed during the duration of a vacation. It airs out at night and does not get pongy like synthetics do. Definately no dryer, and keep that hairdryer away. If overheated it bags out totally like.<BR>There, my first and probably last discussion on underwear on a public forum.

Kay Apr 26th, 2002 06:48 PM

I always take more shoes. Nothing is worse than have uncomfortable shoes on a trip.