Reload this Page >

Extra days outside of Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 03:19 PM
Kelly

My husband and I are going to Rome on a company trip for a week. We have two extra days to with as we wish. We'd like to leave Rome. We have been to Venice, Lake Como, Milan, Florence and the Amalfi Coast before. <BR> <BR>We can't decide what to do with the two extra days. Any suggestions?

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 03:27 PM
Dean Gold

I would suggest Montalcino in southern Tuscany, home to Brunello di Montalcino, one ir Italys' great red wines. This is about a 2/3 hour drice from Rome. On the way is Cerveteri and Tarquinia, home to Etruscan necropoli (amazing burial grounds arranges like huge cities). <BR> <BR>Montalcino is home to the Fortezza which is the location of one of the great enoteca in all Italy, devoted to Brunello. Here you can enjoy climbing up to theparapets of the Fortezza and sipping amazing wine at great prices while nibbling pecorino and prosciutto. <BR> <BR>Near to Montalcino is St Antimo, one of the most beautiful abbey's in Italy where you can go to evening service and listen to the Gregorian chants. Nearby is San Galgano, home to an abandoned abbey that is beautiful and haunting in its ruins. In the direction of Montepulciano is Monte Oliveto Maggiore and the incredibly beautiful and intimate fresco's of Il Sodoma. You can hear mass with Gregorian chants here as well. Last but not least is one of the GREAT restaurants of Italy, La Chiusa in Montefollonico. <BR> <BR>Montalcino itself is a lazy hill town with plenty of churches, public art, litttle enoteca and casual restaurants to enjoy. <BR> <BR>We love it there!

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 04:14 PM
Art

Hadrian's Villa and Villa D'Este would make a very nice day trip from ROme. <BR>Regards, <BR>Art <BR>

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 06:07 PM
Fred

Why don't you take the Eurostar to Florence. It takes 1hr and 35 minutes.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 06:10 PM
Howard

Spend the two days in Tuscany, Chianti and/or Umbria. You have wide, wide choice of specific destinations. Montalcino is one that's already been mentioned.

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 06:51 PM
Linda

Why not think about my favorite, Naples? You can't go wrong.