Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Extra day in Cordoba - what should we do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2008, 12:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

Due to RyanAir cancelling our flight to Malaga we are now in the process of changing around our trip to Spain. We now have an extra day in Cordoba - any thoughts on how we should spend it? I've been looking around online to see if there's any must-sees that we didn't have before and would love your opinion. We get in by train from Madrid at 11:00 and have the whole day free.

Day 2:
Mezquita
Alcazar de los Reyes Cristianos
Synagogue
Puente Romano
Templo Romano

Day 3:
Medina Azahara and a relaxing afternoon wandering about.

Looking at a map, Templo Romano is very much in a different area - so maybe if there's more to see in that direction? We are very budget travellers and are particularly interested in historic buildings, castles, etc. We really aren't into museums much and love to spend as much time as possible outside.

I was considering moving Medina Azahara to the first day (there's a bus at 16:30) which would leave day 3 entirely free. Is there anything outside town we should consider? Any hiking we could get to without a car?

Thanks for your help,
PittPurple
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 06:28 AM

Take an arab bath:

http://www.hammamspain.com/cordoba/index_i.html

It was really fun. Everyone is in bathing suits and it is really a great relaxing experience. It would be a nice treat after a long flight. Everyone gets the massage too.
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 11:10 AM

pittpurple,
Really sorry about your Ryan Air flight cancellation!

Since you enjoy museums, I'd certainly add a visit to the Palacio de los Marqueses de Viana on Plaza don Gome 2, outside of the Judería, so it's often missed.
It has 17 beautiful patios and lovely gardens.

http://tinyurl.com/4dhyvf
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 08:37 AM
kja

Hi, pittpurple -

I second the recommendation for the Viana - even if you don't like museums! The courtyards there are lovely.

Enjoy!
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 09:03 AM

I enjoyed Cordoba, it is a pleasant city, but I was only there a day so didn't have more than the basics. I'd walk around the old town area, perhaps cross the bridge (which was Roman), and there are some parks and castles in the area. I don't know what you were al

However, if I recall, your itinerary only had two days in Seville, so I'd add more time there, if that works out.

MOntilla is a village nearby that is known for its wine, if you are interesting in that kind of thing. You can probably arrange some kind of wine cellar visit.
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 09:15 AM

Bodegas Campos, very near the Mezquita-Cathedral, you can have lunch there.
Museo Julio Romero de Torres and the Fine Arts Museum, both in the same location (Plaza del Potro), separated by a lovely courtyard.
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 01:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Maribel - the Palacio de los Marqueses de Viana looks perfect for what I was looking for - it's in another part of town than the rest of the places I want to see and looks beautiful.

I'm marking all these suggestions on my Cordoba map.

Christina - thanks to the flight cancellation we have to skip Sevilla and are spending that time in Madrid instead. It was much cheaper to take the train to Cordoba from Madrid than Sevilla thank to the late date I booked the trains. Thanks for the help!