Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Extra day in Amsterdam or 1 day in Luxembourg?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/extra-day-in-amsterdam-or-1-day-in-luxembourg-287444/)

monique Feb 11th, 2003 10:05 AM

Extra day in Amsterdam or 1 day in Luxembourg??

Planning 2 days in Amsterdam, 2 days in Bruges, 1 day in Luxembourg City, and 3 days in Paris. Having second thoughts about moving so quickly. Will 2 days in Amsterdam be enough?? I am thinking of cutting out Luxembourg and adding the day to Amsterdam. But, the hotel in Amsterdam, I'm guessing, may not be able to accomodate us an extra day (I haven't asked yet). I'd like to see Lux, but we are short on time, plus it adds to our train trips and costs. Any opinions?

Dutch Feb 11th, 2003 10:11 AM

I would add the day to either Amsterdam or Paris. I spent 5 days in Amsterdam and thought that was about right. You can't go wrong spending more time in Paris, either. Are you spending two nights in Brugge or just one?

monique Feb 11th, 2003 10:16 AM

Spending two nights in Brugges. I've already been to Paris a few times, so I don't want to add the day there.

Dutch Feb 11th, 2003 10:37 AM

If you'fe flying into Amsterdam - then the first day will be a blur - jet lag and such. Then one day in the museums. Doesn't leave much time for anything else. I would stay another day in A'dam.

monique Feb 11th, 2003 10:39 AM

We are flying direct into Amsterdam, arriving at 7:30am. So I am counting this as a full day.

Micha Feb 11th, 2003 10:51 AM

If you rent a bike and the weather is great in Amsterdam, 2 days should do (Compared to the other cities). Else you won't see much (traffic jams,bad PT).<BR><BR>The forecast for the next week doesn't look promising..<BR>I know this, becouse I live here..<BR>

monique Feb 12th, 2003 02:30 AM

Micha, what does 'PT' mean? I am a little depressed about my trip now, realizing that it's going to be cold and rainy (late March). ): I guess I knew it would be this way, but I figured spring would start to show by then -- maybe not!

JulieV Feb 12th, 2003 05:15 AM

I lived in Luxembourg and think it is a nice place to visit (not just the city but also other parts.) Given your tight schedule, though, I would add the day to Amsterdam. You don't say what day you mean. If it happens to be a Sunday then I would definitely scrap Lux as it is dead on Sundays. You could take a day trip to somewhere else in Holland instead, if you have had enough of Amsterdam city. There is Monnikendam, Volendam, Kinderdyke, etc. All can be reached with a tour bus or with the train/ferry. There are also lots of museums if it rains.

martinewezel Feb 12th, 2003 05:15 AM

Monique, don't be depressed... with a little chance, late march will be warm and sunny. Two years ago we've had a BBQ in the garden on the 28th of february. The weather can be pretty inpredictable here, even in summer!

Dutch Feb 12th, 2003 06:27 AM

monique - we were in Holland in late march a few years ago and we loved it. The first few days were cold and grey, but after that it was nice. The daffodils, hyacinths, and crocus were all in bloom giving the country some color. I wouldn't regret a trip to Amsterdam any time of year.

suze Feb 12th, 2003 10:15 AM

Monique, I'd add it to Amsterdam (honestly I'd cut two of the cities you mentioned because I'm not a 4-cities in 8-days kind of person, but realize that's just me).<BR><BR>I was in A'dam the first time last summer for 5 days and that was about right for me. You must be able to sleep on the plane over if you're counting that first arrival day and number *one*? My jetlag is awful and I drag around for several days trying to get back with it! Finding a hotel for an extra night shouldn't be a problem, as it's such a large city.

KathrynDay Feb 12th, 2003 11:20 PM

Lux countryside is actually more fun than the city - you can find great hikes - but I'm with others voting for 2 cities in more depth. There's lots to do and eat in A'dam!

monique Feb 13th, 2003 04:24 AM

Thanks for the responses. I'm waiting to hear if the hotel in Amsterdam can take us one more night. It's not that I don't want to go to Lux, it just comes down to spending as little time as possible on trains and tickets! If I can't get another night in Amsterdam, what should I do? Is 3 nights in Brugge kind of silly? There is a Quasimodo day tour that would take up a whole day, though.

monique Feb 13th, 2003 06:01 AM

Nevermind. Got another night in Amsterdam. Lux will be better on another trip when the weather is nicer. I think I'll be happy with this because I don't do well on planes (motion sickness, no sleep), and I won't feel guilty taking it easy on day 1!

Hiroshi Feb 13th, 2003 06:19 AM

There is no absolute answer to the original question. One could spend 10 days in Paris or Amsterdam and even in Luxembourg if one used the country as a base to see the surrounding area.<BR><BR>For example, one could see Ettelbruck, Vianden, Luxembourg (city), Bastogne (Belgium), Dinant (Belgium),etc.<BR><BR>Some people don't like to go to too many places because one spends time travelling and checking into a hotel. It takes even more time if one has to look for a hotel.<BR><BR>Others like to see as much as possible.<BR><BR>It seems to me that the pace of travel will be slower in Bruges (as you budget 2 days) compared to Amsterdam. Also note that Paris is a bit aways from the other places so you may effectively have only 2 days in Paris.

monique Feb 13th, 2003 06:35 AM

Thanks, Hiroshi. Actually, Brugge to Paris is less than 2.5 hours, while Amsterdam to Brugges is 3 hours! I was really surprised to find this out! Fast trains are great!