Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

extent of one way travel for a "day trip"

Aug 15th, 2014, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

I like the idea of renting an apartment for a relatively long term (say two weeks or so) in an interesting place, and then doing day trips by train from there to other places. In theory a two hour or so each way trip doesn't sound too bad, but I'd like to hear people's experiences about whether thats realistic. One hours each way seems clearly doable, but I wonder if two hours each way, makes for just a little too much travel, when sandwiched around a full day of sightseeing at the destination.
I like the idea of Munich as a base camp, and then my wife and I taking day trips to places like Tegernsee, Regensburg, Salzburg, Chiemsee etc. all possible on the Bayernticket for 27 euros total, roundtrip for two if we take the non-express trains.
Aug 15th, 2014, 08:50 AM

I have no problem w/ two hour train rides for the odd day trip. Not a steady diet of long train trips -- but one or two in a two week period wouldn't bother me at all.
Aug 15th, 2014, 08:51 AM

It's a good question actually. What is 'reasonable' for a day trip in terms of actual travel time.

I'd say think of it in terms of what you consider reasonable at home. Also think of it in terms of percentage of total time available being 'lost' to travel. Third, how many days out of your total would you want to do this on before getting tired of doing it again.

You might want to do some reading up on 'slow travel'. For your first week at least you might not travel any farther than you can walk or reach by bicycle.
http://www.slowmovement.com/slow_travel.php

It is entirely possible to spend your 2 weeks in one little village, never leave it and experience far more of the local culture than you would by spending 2 hours on a train to get somewhere.
Aug 15th, 2014, 09:05 AM

For years now I've based in cities and done day trips - up to two hours each way would be tops - like from Munich it is about two hours each way to Fussen and Mad Ludwig's Neuschwanstein Castle - that's a longer one but I kind of like running around a place for several hours and then relaxing on the train going back - but yes it really is a subjective question.

I love trains so every minute on them is a joy - you may want to consider paying a bit extra for a first-class Bavarian Lander Pass - on a round-trip it would be about 5 euros extra per person each way - but even on regional trains first class is much more comfy and bigger seats but the key is that many first-class seats will be vacant - 2nd class on regional trains can always be quite full and at times SRO as they serve as commuter trains - at rush hours especially can be mobbed. I often say thank God I have a first-class pass when second-class is so jammed - now it is not always but can always be.

For lots of good info on German trains check www.seat61.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com.
Aug 15th, 2014, 09:15 AM

I think it depends on a couple of things:

Who/how many are you - if there are kids or older senior involved I think 2 hours each way might be too much/too long a day

How many trips would you do - I would to want to do this more than once or twice a week - with other days spend locally or on shorter - up to an hour - day trips

Also I would do this only by car no way would I want to be stuck with possibly limited train schedules - or not have the option to get out and see something random you decide to stop at
Aug 15th, 2014, 09:34 AM

I'd prefer an express train. I've been on a couple of milk runs where the train stops frequently. I wouldn't want to do a two hour trip if a good portion of the time is spent stopping at those places.
Aug 15th, 2014, 10:13 AM

Regional trains are local trains that stop at every little station - stopping every few minutes - express trains only stop at a few major cities - regional trains serve the stations in between - express trains are also infinitely more comfy - but you can save so so much money with the Bavarian Lander Ticket so it's a trade off.

Buying a first-class Bavarian Pass for relatively little more money than 2nd class at least makes regional trains a lot more tolerable on a longer dash - at least you will not be in a mob scene ever.
Aug 15th, 2014, 05:11 PM

I have rented an apartment for my base in both Germany and Switzerland for the last 15 or so years. Up to 75 minutes one-way daytrips are completely do-able, with my personal max at 2 hours, maybe once per week. Half-hour trips are pleasant breezes mixed in!
Aug 15th, 2014, 05:50 PM

Rather than using mechanical "above so many hours is too much," "you must spend so many days in this city," etc., look at what combination of destinations/travel time overheads are within your physical/mental capabilities while giving you the most satisfaction.

Some destinations are so meaningful to one individual that even a four hour travel one-way day trip might make sense that time as well as years in the future. While others may merit visiting only if you happen to pass through that town but does not merit even a half-hour detour on its own.

A day will come when you cannot travel together. On that day, you will be the only one who has to deal with "We should have done that."
Aug 15th, 2014, 06:55 PM
kja

What greg said.