Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Extended stay in Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/extended-stay-in-paris-905774/)

forams Sep 11th, 2011 05:23 AM

Extended stay in Paris

Hello,I have been to Paris once before, for a week and seen some of the usual tourist spots, but this time, I want to stay in Paris for a month or longer and just absorb the culture, take some day trips maybe, and actually live in the city
I have no idea about any of the details though, can I find budget accommodation, is it safe to stay by myself (I am female and 30 yrs) and can I work my way through my trip possibly?
I kind of like the idea of doing some work while I'm there, even like an au pair maybe?

Any tips or information is appreciated, since I'm quite confused on how to go about researching this. I want to get there by the 1st of October, and stay a month or two if all works well

Thanks
FS

ira Sep 11th, 2011 05:48 AM

Hi For,

>can I find budget accommodation,
Yes. What's your budget?

>is it safe to stay by myself (I am female and 30 yrs)
Yes. Just remember "No" is "non" and "Yes" is "oui".

>can I work my way through my trip possibly?<

Not legally unless you apply for a work permit well in advance.

((I))

stokebailey Sep 11th, 2011 06:16 AM

You might try au pair online website. For instance, from a search for "au pair agency paris" www.europa-pages.com/au_pair/france.html

I have no idea about their bona fides.

One of my daughters briefly considered such a thing for a gap year, and at the time last year there seemed to be openings in Germany mostly. They seemed to think a work visa was possible. Most people who need child care are looking for someone more long term than a month.

kerouac Sep 11th, 2011 06:35 AM

The are plenty of studio apartments available for vacation rentals for less than 1000€ a month -- probably not on the sites that most people mention here, though.

forams Sep 12th, 2011 12:50 AM

Thanks for your responses guys, I think under a 1000 per month is better for me, and I think I'd need some kind of activity there if I'm staying long, either study or work, have been looking into some courses at university as well

It would be really helpful if anyone has done this before and can help me with their experiences
Thanks, Foram

nancicita Sep 12th, 2011 02:28 AM

Why don't you apply to a post-grad (terminal Masters) program? Most are 1-2 years. Of course, you'd need to submit applications, rec letters, and exam scores. You'd pay the non-EU tuition fee, which is a minimum of 20,000 Euros a year.

nancicita Sep 12th, 2011 02:29 AM

You can't work legally unless if you have a visa, though.

baladeuse Sep 12th, 2011 03:18 AM

I don't know where you got your information, nancicita, but my daughter did a Masters degree in France and the fees were nothing like that. I think her fees were about 5000 euros for the year and they were considered quite high because of the school she chose. There were many programs with much lower fees. Schools in France do not charge higher fees for international students, and the cost of higher education is subsidized by the state and much more affordable than in North America.

Sarastro Sep 12th, 2011 07:41 AM

forams - knowing your citizenship is the only way to advise you properly. Australians have special programs available for extended stays. Anyone from the USA will need a visa to work (which must be issued before you depart), you can stay a month of two but will again need a visa to stay loner than 3 months (which again must be approved and issued before you depart).

Generally, applying for work visas or school programs take some time to complete and be approved and accepted.

nancicita Sep 12th, 2011 07:56 AM

baladeuse, there are different fees for non-EU students.
The only countries that I know of that are still allowing foreigners (non-EU citizens) to pay subsidized tuition rates are Sweden and Finland. I've read that Sweden is ending this policy soon.

Also, it depends on the area of study. It certainly could be possible for a person to pay 5,000 Euros a year as a non-EU student if it's partially funded by the program through scholarships, the research lab, or the student's employer back in the States.

You are correct in saying that the cost of higher education is lower in France than in North America. However, it is not true that North American universities do not receive state funding.

If the post-grad student is studying a practical, value-adding field such as business or engineering, 20,000 Euros a year (for a non-EU student coming from North America) is indeed a good deal. It should be noted that terminal Masters degrees are usually not funded like PhD studentships.

example of study abroad program tuition geared toward non-EU students
http://www.gseabroad.com/programs-fr...aris/ci-7.aspx

an example of tuition at INSEAD
http://mba.insead.edu/financing/fees.cfm

Christina Sep 12th, 2011 08:30 AM

I seriously doubt anyone is going to hire someone as an "au pair" who is only in town for a few weeks. You aren't exactly the organized type, either, so don't think someone would want you for that job, if you haven't planned anything and know nothing about Paris and yet intend to get a job and live there for a month or more, starting in just a couple weeks.

stokebailey Sep 12th, 2011 08:34 AM

Without weighing in on the last point, I appreciate all of the info above for future ref.

forams Sep 12th, 2011 08:41 AM

Thanks guys, these posts help a lot! I'm planning to visit Paris and some of the cities around for ten days with friends and then come back home (I have an Indian citizenship, by the way)

I think I can plan for my extended stay after that, using these suggestions as well. I agree and think a study abroad program is my best bet, I am learning French as well, so that should be a help as well, many thanks!

nancicita Sep 12th, 2011 04:19 PM

As an Indian citizen, you'll need a visa prior to entering France. The visa may require you to show your financials, pay a visa fee, and other documents. If you mention your purpose of visit is to "find work", the embassy may outrightly reject your application. Just FYI.

baladeuse Sep 12th, 2011 06:45 PM

Hi nancicita, My experience may be dated, since my daughter was in France in 2007-2008, but as recently as January 2011, there was an article in Le Monde complaining that foreign students pay the same fees as French students and suggesting that this should be changed:

http://www.lemonde.fr/idees/article/...7871_3232.html

The programs you referenced seem to be International or American schools that offer programs in France, which is different from a program offered in a French University aimed at French students but open to foreign students who qualify academically. Most of these programs still don't charge extra fees for international students. Of course you would have to understand French.

The website of the French Embassy in New Zealand lists "Ten good reasons to study in France:

http://www.ambafrance-nz.org/spip.php?article1244

At #5: "Fees for international and domestic students are the same in France."

forams Sep 14th, 2011 02:45 AM

Thanks for the responses guys, I can use this to plan out an extended stay, if not this time, at least for the next, and apply for some post grad programs accordingly