Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Expressing time-of-day in the Netherlands

Old Jan 15th, 2004, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got a question in preparation for our trip to the Netherlands.

When telling time, how are the "p.m." hours expressed? If I'm asking for dinner reservations at 6:00 p.m., would I say "eighteen hundred" (as in "military" time) or "six o'clock"? And how is it expressed in conversational Dutch?

Surprisingly, the English/Dutch dictionary I bought doesn't touch on this area of language. The guidebooks that I bought or browsed mention that trains use the 24-hour scale, and several books use that system for the open-hours of restaurants and museums, etc. But what about ordinary verbal communication?
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 09:53 AM

If you're asking for dinner reservations and say 6 o'clock it's unlikely that they would think you meant 6am, although even 6pm is early for dinner in most European restaurants.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 09:55 AM
JonJon

If you feel uncomfortable saying "Eighteen hundred" for 6 PM feeling it isn't the way most people would converse in normal conversation, you could always say "Six o'clock at night" or "Six o'clock in the evening" or just "Six PM"....if the latter brings on "funny" looks then you could elaborate.

Old Jan 15th, 2004, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

If someone in the States used military time, they'd get looked at funny. I just want to use whatever is the norm, regardless of which it is.

And Xenos... my understanding is that the Dutch eat dinner on the early side. Are you speaking from experience, or are you generalizing based on other European countries?
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 01:35 PM
sandi

Just about every Dutch person (less than 80-yrs of age) I've met speaks fluent English, many much better than so-called English speakers and most without any semblence of an accent. The Dutch understand the time of day and Dinner is not breakfast.

Old Jan 15th, 2004, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Sandi, et al -

Yes; I *know* they speak English quite well and that they can distinguish between breakfast and dinner. Sheesh!

All I'm asking is whether they use the 24-hour clock when stating a time conversationally or the 12-hour clock.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 07:58 PM

Honestly, I don't think it really matters..It is funny because I never even considered "time" when speaking to a Dutch person..

I really think they understand either way.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 08:05 PM

I know that I've made dinner reservations myself in the Netherlands and also asked the hotel to do it. I always say "8 in the evening" and they understand perfectly and write down "20:00". But I don't think you'd ever say "20 o'clock".
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 01:22 AM

Hi Balto,
I live in the Netherlands so maybe I can help you.
The Dutch use the 24-hour clock in writing and in speaking, but they also use the 12-hour clock, particularly in speaking, so you have all the options listed above. They are certainly used to using the 12-hour clock in English since they know that most English speakers use it as well.
For making dinner reservations, I would use (in Dutch, but English will be fine) the expressions, in order of preference:

1. half seven (but don't use this because in Dutch it means 6:30, but to some people who deal with British guests it CAN mean 7:30!)
2. six-thirty (pm)
3. eighteen hours thirty (don't try to use this in English because it sounds strange, even to a Dutch person who uses this in Dutch all the time.)

So use #2.

As for dinnertime, 6 pm is a typical dinner hour for many people at home, but generally rather early for going out to eat, so check with the restaurant. Eet smakelijk! (say: 'ate SMAAACK - a - lick') = bon appetit!
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 02:57 AM

Last post is absolutely right. Although we use the 24 hour clock in writing, when speaking we just say "6 uur" for 6 pm. If there is any possibility for mistaking morning and evening, we would say 6 in the evening.
It always get confusing with the half hours; "half 7" means half past 6.
Though most restaurants open at 6, it is early for dinner.
PM and AM is not used at all.