Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Express Passport Service Info Needed - Urgent (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/express-passport-service-info-needed-urgent-533719/)

LoveItaly Jun 2nd, 2005 12:17 PM

Express Passport Service Info Needed - Urgent

Hello everyone, I didn't know whether to post this question on the US Board or the Europe Board.

There is a big family problem and I need your advise as quickly as possible.

As some of you know my son-in-law is from Rome. He know lives here in Vacaville. He has his green card. travel card and up-to-date renewed Italian passport.

My daughter has her US passport which does not expire for 2 years BUT she never got around to having her passport changed to her married name. She does not have any other documentation showing her former married name except for her orignal marriage license (to her first husband), the divorce papers and of course her marriage license to her second and current husband.

The problem is this. My dear son-in-law got phones calls last night that his father is is one hospital in Rome and is dying. His mother is in a different hospital in Rome, she is not dying but she has lots of physcial problems plus she is not able to handle problems. Very emotionally unstable in a way, although she is a lovely lady. There is no way she will be able to live on her own when her husband dies, which the cousins in Rome think will happen very shortly. There is the house in Rome, with no one in it - oh, all kind of problems!

My son-in-law will need to get to Rome within a matter of days. No problem for him (assuming his employer does not make a problem for him). My daughter wants to go to Rome with her husband, not a vacation trip of course, just to be there with him to provide all the emotional support etc. that she can. This is a terrible problem because my son-in-law is an only child, so no siblings there in Rome.

Question (for right now); what is the name of a good and reliable service that my daughter can use to get her US Passport amended to her married name ASAP.

Any info will be so appreciated by all of us.

I hope I gave enough info. If not, please let me know, I am a bit stressed at the moment so my head is spinning. Thank you in advance.

PalQ Jun 2nd, 2005 12:23 PM

If you are near a passport issuing office you can get it fairly quick, however you must make an appointment - no walk in service like before. Otherwise pay big bucks to passport services i'm sure someone will mention. In a pinch contact your Congressperson, at times they help in such dire straits. You'll probably be able to use your old passport in old name without problem, i don't see why not for Customs at least, for the airlines just book your ticket in your former name. Never seen Customs either here or there check any other id - just your passport.

LoveItaly Jun 2nd, 2005 12:29 PM

Hi PalQ, thank you for such a prompt response, truly appreciated. Never thought of her just making the reservation under her "old name". I am hold with the passport office right now waiting for a rep. Again, my sincere thanks.

Patty Jun 2nd, 2005 12:29 PM

Maybe I'm not understanding the issue correctly but I also don't see why your daughter wouldn't just have her airline ticket issued in the same name as her current passport.

LoveItaly Jun 2nd, 2005 12:33 PM

Patty, because the phonecalls from Italy were so unexpected we have not had time to think properly. So I immediately came here to Fodors for good advice. And I think you and PalQ have given it! Thank you also for your quick response. Truly grateful.

janis Jun 2nd, 2005 12:44 PM

You have two pretty simple solutions . . .

1) buy airline ticket in the old name

2) if she doesn't want to do that - just drive down to SF and get her passport renewed while she waits.

Spygirl Jun 2nd, 2005 01:06 PM

LoveItaly-ideally all your daughter's govt. or state issued IDs should match, (most importantly, first and last names)if they don't, then she needs to amend whatever IDs do not match up, because that could be problematic in any situation where she is asked to produce multiple forms of ID in the future when traveling overseas. However, as long as the airline ticket and the US Passport are issued in the same name, she should not have a problem.

As far as getting a passport renewed "while you wait" that's not going to happen. You do need appointments to get a same-day passport, and if the passport office in SFO has an opening/appt. that is convenient with your travel plans, great, but the problem is, you might not get an appt. for several weeks, (partic. in the busy summer travel season) and for people who need a same-day passport, that obviously isn't going to work-people who need same-day passports are usually the ones who can't wait for an appt. to open up.

I got a commercial passport service to get me my passport in 2 days last Dec., (oddly, the service was in my Dr.'s office bldg., so I could literally drop it off to them in person!) The commercial passport services make their money by having pre-arranged "slot" times with the US Passport Office, and many companies annd businesses use their services (and have standing accts.) with such services in order to get a passport quickly for personnel who need to be sent overseas.

In my case, I probably paid some $175.00 to get my renewed passport, but it was worth every penny to me, because I did not want to encounter a passport problem in the middle of the South China Sea between Macau and Bangkok with less than 6 mos. validity on my passport.

Your daughter should be fine using her passport name-but she should get her IDs amended as soon as possible.

LoveItaly Jun 2nd, 2005 01:09 PM

Update, for anyone that has a similar situation.

A Rep. from the US Passport Office came on the line. The ph # btw is 1-877-487-2778. Toll free. The are opened between 8:00am and 8:00pm eastern time.

Here is the answer. Call the SF Passport ofice using the automatic system. Take the appointment they give you and be sure to write down the confirmation #.

Make her airline reservation, in her new married name.

Call back to the above #, the US Passport office. Advise that is is a "life and death emergency" which it is of course, and that she needs to go to Rome immediately.

They will ask for the appointment info she was given by the automated system.

They will ask for the airline ticket information.

They will ask how soon she can be at the SF Passport office (i.e. - 9:00am the next morning). They will give permission for that.

They will immediately email the SF passport office that she has a priority appointment.

She will be able to enter the SF Passport office and get her passport amended right there and then.

Of course she needs to bring all proper documentation with her which is not a problem.

Thanks to everyone that responded right away to my post. You are all wonderful.

Fodorite018 Jun 2nd, 2005 01:17 PM

LoveItaly--So sorry all of you are dealing with the stress of the medical stuff, and then this. I am glad that you got the answers though and can help your daughter. I am sure the info you gave will help someone else:)

Patty Jun 2nd, 2005 01:38 PM

LoveItaly,
I didn't know that you could get around the appointment issue. That's good to know in the event of an emergency. I always thought you had no choice but to take whatever next appointment the automated system gives (or use an agency).

ira Jun 2nd, 2005 01:44 PM

Hi Love,

Glad it worked out.

aggiemom Jun 2nd, 2005 01:45 PM

LoveItaly - I'm so sorry you're going through such a stressful time. You made me feel soooo much better when I was stressed (not NEARLY as serious as your situation) before my trip. My heart and prayers are with your son-in-law and daughter.

LoveItaly Jun 2nd, 2005 01:46 PM

Hi mms and Patty, I was really surprised at the answers I got as well as the care and concern shown by the rep. at the US Passport Office. A real human being! And I mean that in the nicest way possible. That had been my experience when I called them about a year ago with a question.

I am still stressed and worred about the family in Rome, plus the outcome of everything but having the info on my DD passport name change is one bit of good information. And how she is "beating herself over the head" as she hadn't taken care of this before. Normally she is so organized and on top of things. But we all procrasinate over something.

Hugs to everyone.

seetheworld Jun 2nd, 2005 01:49 PM

Hi LoveItaly. Sending sincere thoughts your way.

LoveItaly Jun 2nd, 2005 01:52 PM

Ira and Aggiemom, thank you for your kind and warm thoughts. Life just never stops having challenges does it. My dear son-in-law, he is such a strong and loving gentleman. But right now he is in a state of shock. All of this is so unexpected. Kind thoughts really help, thank you so much.

BTW, before I even dialed the US Passport Office I posted this thread as I told my daughter - that is the first thing I should do. All of you are so wonderful.

LoveItaly Jun 2nd, 2005 02:06 PM

seetheworld, thank you so much. Oh, life does get complicated and stressful sometimes does it not. And my grandson has his middleschool (8th grade) graduation next week too. But more importantly is my DSIL, here in the US with all this going on in Rome. And it is not like he can go and stay there for weeks (due to his job). Oh my! Well as he says "piano,, piano" which means one step at a time.

Weadles Jun 2nd, 2005 04:35 PM

LoveItaly,

I just wanted to send my heartfelt good wishes and prayers to you. I am sorry that you are going through such a difficult time. You seem like a lovely person, and are a very impressive contributor on this board!

LoveItaly Jun 2nd, 2005 05:10 PM

Weadles, thank you, your comments are truly appreciated. My heart breaks for my SIL, I am now wondering instead of following all the instructions the US Passport Office gave me for my daughter to do if it wouldn't just be better to use a Passport Service.

But I know nothing about them, or who to contact etc. At this point I am thinking along the lines of keeping everything as simple as possible as confusion reigns. Just found out that my SIL father has been moved from the hospital in Rome to another hospital outside of Rome. What does this mean? Noone knows.

Cousin from Italy is talking to my SIL right at this moment. SIL employers will work with him in any way they can, so no problem for him to take time off from work, thank goodness.

So please, Spygirl, or whoever. A name of an agency that can take care of this passport problem for my daughter (if it can be done immediately) would be so appreciated.

Thank you again.

starrsville Jun 2nd, 2005 05:21 PM

I've been very happy with this service on the right coast and don't know if you want to deal with them from the left coast. But, FedEx is FedEx.

In any case - www.visalady.com

Check out their website. Visas and passports are the only business. They may even refer you to a service in your area - don't know.

But, I've been in their office twice with friends with problems and have always been very impressed with their competency and professionalism.

Spygirl Jun 2nd, 2005 05:58 PM

LoveItaly-the problem is, -the service I used is on the right coast, so I really don't think that would help your daughter-you really need one on the West Coast. Here is one passport service I found -International Visa Service-located in SF where you can call them directly-I don't have a personal recommendation for them, however, that shouldn't stop you-call them and see what they tell you:

www.intl-passport-visa.com/
Phone: (415) 362-8472

I should say also that I am not sure that Left Coast passport services can deliver on the 24 hours-I believe many of them may use the Chicago passport office for their urgent requests, which might take a few days. At any rate, you can see what they say on the time factor.

On the other hand, I would advise sticking with the Passport Agency's advice; your daughter may well be able to get a passport in the next couple of days or so at the SF Office-depending on when your SIL intends to leave-that does still seem to me to be the best bet.