Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Expo 1998 in Lisbon - When? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/expo-1998-in-lisbon-when-19790/)

Susan Dec 23rd, 1997 02:28 AM

Expo 1998 in Lisbon - When?

During which month is the Expo 1998 in Lisbon? I would love to visit Portugal next year, but I want to avoid the Expo, because I hate crowded places. Thanks

Charla Trader Dec 31st, 1997 06:07 AM

Expo is May 22 to Sept 30. You can get more info at www.expo98.net

I will be traveling in Portugal for 3 weeks beginning February 4th. I've done quite a bit of research so if you have any specific questions e-mail me at [email protected]

Lina Nunes Jan 2nd, 1998 09:00 AM

Charla is right about the Expo98 dates.
If I were you and since you don't like crowds I would come in October.
Or come any time but don't come to Lisbon
Lina

Lili Jan 6th, 1998 03:40 PM

And Lina is right about avoiding Lisbon. I've not been to South Africa, so I don't know what your relative concept of "space" or "crowded" is. But by American standards, I found most of Portugal "crowded" when I was there in September. Lisbon also had crowds (of people), as do large cities anywhere. The streets everywhere are narrow, sloping (it's a mountainous country), and twisting. For me, there was rarely the vista I needed to get my bearings, and even small villages seemed claustrophobic and confusing.

None of this means that I didn't enjoy Portugal. I enjoyed it very much! Being lost became a normal part of the trip, but even that wasn't important, as it usually meant I saw a different site or ate at a different restaurant, and on a trip discoveries are part of the fun. I was driving for most of the trip, although in cities we relied on taxis. I just had to learn to focus on a more closed-up space than I am used to as I drove through a town or walked in a neighborhood. If you really don't want to deal with the intricacies of a large city, just skip Lisbon and go to the smaller towns. There is much to see and do everywhere, the countryside is beautiful, and the Portuguese are charming and hospitable. You need get no closer to Lisbon than the airport unless you want to. Oh, yes, in September the weather was wonderful.

Lili Jan 6th, 1998 03:49 PM

And Lina is right about avoiding Lisbon. I've not been to South Africa, so I don't know what your relative concept of "space" or "crowded" is. But by American standards, I found most of Portugal "crowded" when I was there in September. Lisbon also had crowds (of people), as do large cities anywhere. The streets everywhere are narrow, sloping (it's a mountainous country), and twisting. For me, there was rarely the vista I needed to get my bearings, and even small villages seemed claustrophobic and confusing.

None of this means that I didn't enjoy Portugal. I enjoyed it very much! Being lost became a normal part of the trip, but even that wasn't important, as it usually meant I saw a different site or ate at a different restaurant, and on a trip discoveries are part of the fun. I was driving for most of the trip, although in cities we relied on taxis. I just had to learn to focus on a more closed-up space than I am used to as I drove through a town or walked in a neighborhood. If you really don't want to deal with the intricacies of a large city, just skip Lisbon and go to the smaller towns. There is much to see and do everywhere, the countryside is beautiful, and the Portuguese are charming and hospitable. You need get no closer to Lisbon than the airport unless you want to. Oh, yes, in September the weather was wonderful.