Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please explain the trains, Cordoba to Seville and the Altaria train from Granada to Madrid.

Search

Please explain the trains, Cordoba to Seville and the Altaria train from Granada to Madrid.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2013, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to understand the different train services that we will be using for our March trip around Andalucia. From Madrid to Cordoba we take an AVE train, using either the Renfe website or Petrabax booking online 60 days before travel for the best price.

For the one way ticket Cordoba to Sevilla should I book that 60 days out or wait until we arrive in Cordoba where we will be staying for 3 nights or buy the tickets while we are waiting for our first train at Madrid Atocha station? There seems to be a choice of three types of trains, AVE, AVANT and a Mid Distance train. We will be taking the train on a Sunday so I'm wondering if that will make a difference. How far ahead do you recommend I purchase these tickets?

For the Granada to Madrid train it's a different type of train called Altaria. From what I can see there are only two types of seats, Turista and Preferente. Since it's over a 4 hour train ride I wonder if it makes sense to purchase the Preferente 60 days out for the best price or if Turista seats are comfortable enough. We will be traveling from Granada to Madrid on a nonholiday Friday in April, I don't know if that makes a difference as to when I should purchase my tickets. How far ahead do you recommend I purchase these tickets?

On any of these trains do I need to purchase at least the Promo plus if I want to be able to select my seats after purchase? I don't think I'm allowed to select seats if I go with the cheapest Promo fares. Correct?

Thank you for any comments that will help me understand the Spain train choices and fares . Deborah
Old Nov 9th, 2013, 01:38 PM

You should purchase your tickets as soon as they become available for the best price. There are no discounts offered at the station.

Preferente is always best for routes over 2 hours.

Preferente promo plus gives you access to the club for up to 2 hours before the scheduled departure.

You select seats on all medium and long distance trains.
Old Nov 9th, 2013, 01:45 PM

Correct.
Promo plus let's you select your seat, promo does not.
If you are over 60, you can purchase Tarjeta Dorada..(.for senior discount.)
Old Nov 9th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Robert. When I did my research into the cheapest fares the information I found was that our seats would be assigned. If our seats were assigned could it happen that my husband and I would not be seated together?--Ron would not be a happy traveler, in that case Deborah
Old Nov 9th, 2013, 01:49 PM

lets
Ipad...
TD cannot be purchased on line...
Old Nov 9th, 2013, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

danon, love those senior discounts but my readings leads me to understand that a better price would be buying our train tickets as soon as they become available for purchase. I'll need to do more research on that Tarjeta Dorada. Thanks, Deborah
Old Nov 9th, 2013, 02:36 PM

if you have your dates and times set ahead of time, sure..

If you prefer to decide when " on the ground", TD is good for
discounts of 25- 40 % ( depending on the day and train )
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 12:45 AM

There is many a guide on the web with a simple search for 'buying RENFE tickets on line', including the hugely comprehensive -
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g1...ts.Online.html
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 07:25 AM

Typically, if you purchase two or more tickets at the same time, when the seats are first available, then you will be seated together if you are not able to select your seats for some reason,
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

wombatt, the information on the TA post is so helpful. I had read through it a couple of times before I posted my question because even with all that information there was no mention of the Altaria train. I still have more questions about train travel so I hope fodor's folks will continue to be helpful Thanks for the link.

Robert, regarding the seating, I wasn't sure the policy of seat assignments so for a few euros more I'll select a promo plus to avoid any problems. Thanks, Deborah
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 10:48 AM

I don't think it really matters for the Cordoba to Sevilla ticket too much, that is just a short run, there are trains all the time and they don't cost much. I don't think you can even reserve seats on some of them. There are a few AVEs runs on that route, but plenty of others. If you do want an AVE, then buying ahead can save you , don't know), then buying ahead may save you 10 euro over the Avant. They take about the same time. The MD trains just take about a half hour longer (and make a lot of stops) and cost about the same regular price as the discounted AVE, around 10-15 euro. The MD and Avant trains only have one class anyway, as far as I know, but you can specify the kind of seat you want assigned on the Avant.
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Cristina. Since Cordoba is often done as a train daytrip from Seville, I thought there would be plenty of trains choices. As part of my trip planning I'll watch both the Avant and AVE for best pricing once I'm within the 60 day period. Thanks again, Deborah
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 03:08 PM

on several trains S-C there is no discount, but if you are not
"picky" about the time of dep.-and ret. no problem.