Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Exploring St Peters Church, cemetery and catacombs or what not to miss in Salzburg.

Exploring St Peters Church, cemetery and catacombs or what not to miss in Salzburg.

Mar 11th, 2004, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Hi!! We (3 adutls) are going to Austria in April (the 12th to be exact) and I was wondering if there is a specific tour that can be taken of the church, cemetery, catacombs and if so, how do I find out about it? Is it worth while?? If not worth while what is the one thing not to miss in Salzburg?? We will only be there for one night. Staying at the Amadeus hotel. Thanks for the help!!
Mar 12th, 2004, 02:10 AM
viennese

Hallo,
why don't you just enjoy the lovely old town of Salzburg and take a stroll? On your way in the pedestrian zone you can't miss the highlight of Mozart's birthplace in Getreidegasse - for sure the "one thing not to be missed" in Salzburg. Then take a look at the Residenz where the Bishop lived. Enjoy your coffee in Café Tomaselli od Café Glockenspiel. Take the elevator up to Festung Hohensalzberg on the hills above Salzburg - great view!
I hope your enjoy your day in Salzburg. Best wishes from Austria!

Mar 12th, 2004, 02:13 AM
viennese

Hallo again,
I checked the web and found this page in English for you - with trips that are offered in Salzburg:
http://www2.salzburg.info/sehenswertes_413.htm
I hope you will like it!

Mar 12th, 2004, 02:48 AM
JonJon

I'm sorry, but you must come to realize that these "not to be missed" posts are almost impossible to answer when you don't tell us anything about your interests..although churches seem to be one of them so I would agree that with tyhe time you have to spend just wandering around the old part of the city will be enjoyable; the interior of the cathedral is something I think you'd regret not seeing. A short city bus ride away is the Hellbrun Palace with the famous Wasserspiele gardens which many find enjoyable.
I hope you have a wonderful time.

Mar 12th, 2004, 01:30 PM
dcespedes

We did not take a tour when we were there this past summer so I can't speak to that but I would like to recommend you not miss the Cathedral, Hohensalzburg Fortress (the views from the top are amazing and there's a lovely outdoor cafe with wonderful food and a spectacular view), St. Peter's Abbey, the Universitatsplatz, Mirabellgarten and of course Mozarts residence and birthplace. We absolutely loved Salzburg and hope you enjoy an amazing time there!