Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Exploring Netherland, with The Hague as a base - Questions about train ticket

Mar 18th, 2007, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

I'm heading to Netherlands in early June for a week and will be staying with some friends in The Hague. Keen to visit Amsterdam plus several other places beyond Amsterdam and The Hague.
At the moment, the plan is 3 days exploring Amsterdam, 1 day for The Hague, 1 day for Delft, 1 day for the windmills handicraft cheese tour (or is it better to go do it on my own?)... did I miss anything important?

QUESTION:
Are there such things as discounted/3-day tickets for daily commuting between The Hague and Amsterdam?
Heard that there's a discount card which can entitle the holder with train fare discounts. Can foreigners apply for it too? How much is it?
I tried the www.ns.nl site but they're in Dutch and the English version doesn't contain such info.
What would the price difference be between normal and discount ticket?

Would greatly appreciate advice.
Mar 18th, 2007, 05:55 AM

There's a Eurail Holland Pass that you can purchase - 3 days, second class is $85.00 USD and 5 days, second class is $139.00 USD.

http://www.railkey.com/tickets/eurai...nd.asp?AFF=ERG

The Netherlands Rail line offers a Day Travel Ticket (Dagkaart) for Euro 40.30.

While staying in the Hague, be sure to visit Escher in het Palais, the M.C. Escher Museum. We really enjoyed the virtual reality tour on the third floor.

When you visit Delft, instead of taking the train, you can take Tram #1 from the Hague, using a Strippenkaart for fare.

Enjoy your travels in the Netherlands. Peace, Robyn >-
Mar 18th, 2007, 06:07 AM

I read a little Dutch and have a lot of experience on NS trains.

To get good discounts on Dutch trains you must purchase a month or a year card. These are probably not a worthwhile purchase for your short stay.

Another option is to buy round trip dagretour tickets for departure after 9 AM. These are on valid workdays for all months except July and August. Ask at the ticket office. Also, you save a little bit buying tickets at the machines automat rather than at a ticket window.

Visit Haarlem. I've lived there and highly recommend it.

Mar 18th, 2007, 06:09 AM

Hi, I looked on the dutch site for you and there is a card that costs 55euros for a year and gives you 40% reduction on each trip but that may not be a good option for a short stay, there is also a 5 trip strip card which gives you a slight reduction , but other than that there used to be a day ticket that would go anywhere in the netherlands and a week ticket to but didnt see it mentioned, try rail europa for a benelux ticket .
Mar 18th, 2007, 06:11 AM

Yes, haarlem is a great town to visit and not far from the Hague and amsterdam.
Mar 18th, 2007, 06:21 AM

I'll third the vote for Haarlem. I particularly enjoyed wandering through the Teylers Museum. Peace, Robyn >-
Mar 18th, 2007, 06:30 AM

A 2nd class return for Den haag to Amsterdam CS is €17.70.
It isn't worth you buying a reduction card. Strippen kaarten are only for buses/trams/metro not NS trains.
You might like to consider Utrecht as another place to visit.
make sure whilst in Den Haag you go to Panorama Mesdag, Madurodam and Scheveningen - from the 9 June there is an exhibition called fairy tale sculpures by the sea there, free! 24th June is Parkpop in Den haag, a free pop festival.
Mar 18th, 2007, 07:14 AM

Hi hetismij, there is a 5 retourkaart for the NS sorry if I used the wrong term.
Mar 18th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

wow!!

Thanks so much for the help and suggestion
I'm really excited about the trip now.. hope I'll manage to squeeze in all the places mentioned during my short stay. If it's not enough, I might just have to come back again next year... and catch the tulip blooms too next time

Thanks again!!
Mar 18th, 2007, 10:46 AM

leather, yes there is a 5-retour kaart, but will the OP really be travelling from Den Haag to Amsterdam 5 times? I guess if the friends are going too then it's worth getting. It saves a few Euros.
Don't forget to stamp each one at the stamping machine on the platform to validate it for the day of travel.
Mar 18th, 2007, 10:47 AM

Oh and you have to buy the 5-retour kaart from the machine, not the kiosk.
Mar 18th, 2007, 11:19 AM

I was just mentioning it as a suggestion, there may be other people reading the email.