Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Exploring France without reservations, is this a good idea?

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 12:26 PM
Stephanie

A girlfriend and I would like to freewheel it through France for about 9 days. A seasoned traveler suggested taking the Eurorail to a town or village of choice and then visiting the booth at the station for the Bed and Breakfast Inns available in the area. He indicated that it was simple and inexpensive. Any input on this idea?

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 12:32 PM
elavine1051

Are you going in high season, like summer or early fall?
It depends on how you feel about the downside. If you are both spontaneous and freewheeling as you say, and don't mind the possibility of ending up in a 3rd rate B&B because it's the only one that's not already fully booked, then go for it. If nothing else it will give you stories to tell later. Waiting in that line at the tourist office does take time out of your fun.
Investigate at least a little of the French train schedules (fs-on-line) before you go or you can end up wasting a lot of time or paying more than you need to.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 12:35 PM
cranky

A seasoned traveler knows when and where you can get away with this strategy. It is neither simple (at least waste alots of time) nor inexpensive (people before you have already taken affordable places) if you try to do this in Paris or in French Riviera in summer.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 12:53 PM
Stephanie

Sorry, we will be in France the very first part of June!

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 08:11 AM
ed

Early June will be good. Later in the summer gets too crowded. My wife and I and two kids have free-wheeled many times around Europe for 10 to 14 days. We never have a problem. We usually get a car to do it..and a map. We especially like Rick Steves guidebooks, and head for the little hotels he mentions. Only once did we have trouble getting a room when we pulled into a town (and there are 4 of us).
One fun thing we did once was, from Paris....took an overnight train to Chamonix (very cool.....went up Mont Blanc) That is where we picked up the car...drove around France....turned the car in at the town of Colmar...took train back into Paris..thus avoiding any driving in Paris. Let me know if you need any more info.....freewheeling is the only way to go

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 01:37 AM
martinman

Go for it! At that time of year you'll have little problem, even at the coast. Not all stations will have a tourist booth; but even so, except in very small places, there will be a choice of options wuthin walking distance. Good idea to check out a couple of 'little hotel' chains - Logis de France have an extensive network: plenty of info on them or others on the Net. I have never pre-booked hotels for our trips to France, except for coastal areas in August.