Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Explore Lake Baikal in Siberia through Volunteering!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2014, 09:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone!
I'm a volunteer with Great Baikal Trail and would like to invite you to take part in our 2015 volunteer projects! It's a unique opportunity to explore the deepest, largest, and oldest lake in the world (Lake Baikal); learn about Russian culture; enjoy life in a natural setting; and meet new friends - all while contributing to regional eco-tourism development and having a lot of fun!
A usual GBT trailbuilding project lasts two weeks, which volunteers spend living in tents, taking turns to make their food over campfire and working six days a week (5-6 hours a day depending on the weather). On rest days, volunteers can hike around the beautiful, local sites - some difficult to find unless on a GBT project! It's a great way to immerse yourself in local culture and easily explore the nature reserves of Siberia.

GBT projects are run at a variety of locations around Lake Baikal - you can take a look at 2014 project descriptions now, and we'll have 2015 projects up on our website by mid-November.
Until then, we'll be happy to answer your questions! Take a look at our website
( www.greatbaikaltrail.org/en ) or browse through project photos on our Facebook page
( www.facebook.com/greatbaikaltrail )
Old Oct 14th, 2014, 10:19 PM

Since the participant is required to pay for their own for airfare, camping equipment, meals, and a 16,900 Ruble ($412) fee it seems to me that it would be easier to just go as a tourist. Plus there's the perk of not having to do any back-breaking labor and carry all your gear around on your back.
Old Oct 14th, 2014, 11:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
"According to The Moscow Times, increasing amount invasive species of algae thrive in the lake from hundreds of tons of liquid waste, including fuel and excrement, regularly disposed into the lake by tourist sites; and up to 25,000 tons of liquid waste disposed every year by local ships.[70]"

Quick lets go pollute it before others do.

Putin thinks it only a bit polluted, so that's ok then.
Old Oct 14th, 2014, 11:37 PM
Original Poster

Hi sparkchaser,

For every project a person signs up for there is a ~$412 fee, but this fee actually includes all meals on the project, transportation during the project, and all tents. The only other camping equipment volunteers must bring is a good backpack, sleeping bag, and pad.

We agree these items can get quite expensive, but if a traveller is looking for a good way to get outdoors, get involved with local eco-tourism and explore reservations around Lake Baikal, GBT can be a great and comparatively cheap avenue.

Happy travelling!
Rachele
Old Oct 14th, 2014, 11:45 PM

I agree that it's a great opportunity for the right person. In fact, I know several people that might be interested; however, the costs getting to Baikal might be cost-prohibitive to them (although I see flights from New York to Irkutsk for $1250). Nevertheless I will pass on the information.
Old Oct 15th, 2014, 09:40 PM
Original Poster

Hi sparkchaser,

Alas, the plane ticket prices are often the kicker. Nonetheless, thanks for taking a look and safe travels!

Best,
Rachele