Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Explain Ziplock bags in Carry-On's, please...

Old Apr 10th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

I think this is a silly question but I’m going to ask it anyway…I figure if the U.S. government is involved it might be true, no matter how ludicrous.
For many years I’ve used Ziploc© bags when I packed whether it be for carry-on or checked luggage. Obviously, if there is a spill it is contained plus I can find things quickly and easily without opening the bag.
A friend of mine just flew to the U.K. on American and said she was told emphatically that only ONE gallon-size Ziploc© bag was allowed in your carry-on luggage. I asked her why this would be and she said that she’d been told by several “in the know” that extra bags would have to be moved to her checked baggage. Other than “being told” so, she had no explanation but that you were allowed only enough small liquids/cosmetics etc. as would fit in the single gallon bag.
I have my prescriptions in one, my shaving gear in another, my camera accessories in a third, lip balm, eye drops, etc. in another.
Why on earth would it matter to the inspectors? If I chose to put my underwear or socks in a plastic bag wouldn’t that just make their jobs that much easier? Does anyone out there in FodorLand have any input on this, or is just as inaccurate and harebrained as it sounds?
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 11:00 AM

Actually, not ONE gallon size but a QUART is what you can use for your carry on bottles.

http://www.tsa.gov/311/

Monica
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 11:02 AM

I think the agent didn't understand the rules. TSA wants all of your bomb-making chemicals in a single one-quart bag. www.tsa.gov/311 says "One bag per traveler," but in the context of the discussion of liquids, gels, or aerosols. I don't think the regs give an airborne rodent's rear what else is in your carry-on.

Posted too quickly. Yes, you can pack your things in zip lock bags. The only one you have to show for inspection is the one with the liquids. See the web site I provided.

Monica

I think your friend has this all backwards!

You can take as many ziplock bags as you want. It is just that each person is allowed 1 bag filled with liquids under 3.3 oz. Any other liquids that won't fit in your one ziplock bag or are over 3.3 oz. have to go in your check luggage. You need to take this bag out before screening and put it in one of the bins that goes through the x-ray machine.

And it is NOT the gallon size. It is the smaller size. Look on the government website for exact specifications.

Perhaps they think terrorists may try to force the pilots to pull the bags over their heads and suffocate themselves.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 11:06 AM

I just arrived home on Sunday night. I had many ziplocks of different sizes in my checked luggage, holding a variety of non-liquid or gel items (sweater, camera, etc.) I was handsearched, as I always am when carrying my scuba diving computer/ regulator, and they never blinked an eye at the bags.

All liquid things (chapstick, toothpaste, etc) were under 3 ounces and in a one quart bag.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Right, sorry, I meant quart bags, but, what your saying is that I can pack anything I want in any size bag, except the liquids which MUST all be together in a one-quart bag...is that correct? One can put any other (permitable) liquids, such as shampoo, in any size container in any size of bag within the checked baggage. I was also told it helps to put them on the top???Am I right about this? Hey, thanks!
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 11:10 AM

I hit the button too fast- I meant to add that they had bins full of suntan lotion, body fragrance, water bottles, etc. that they had confiscated- all big sizes.

We were amazed to watch the TSA people laughing as the squirted all the different scented sprays at one another. If they were so dangerous they had to be confiscated, shouldn't they refrain from spraying the illicit liquids into the air??

Anyway, I read somewhere that the one quart bag rule is because it, presumably, limits the total amount of liquids any single passenger can bring to an amount smaller than that needed to build an explosive device.

Old Apr 10th, 2007, 11:13 AM

YOu can put anything you want in your checked baggage, unless it's on that banned list due to being very flammable. You just aren't understanding your friend who was referring to carryon baggage, and liquids.

I don't put liquids on top in my packed baggage necessarily, I put them where they fit best and are most secure. You are confusing the carryon liquids rule with checked baggage stuff. It's not the same thing.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 11:14 AM

Hi, I heard it was so that the inspection lines could move along well; with only the one small bag of liquids per carry-on.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 11:15 AM

Yes DiAblo- take all the bags you want, but keep all your liquid or gel items to 3 ounces or less in a single quart-sized bag in your checked luggage.

Pack all your large bottles/tubes (shampoo, etc) in your checked luggage. I would recommend double bagging them in checked luggage, since every one of my checked bags was opened and searched by TSA on both legs of my recent trip. They did seem to have scrambled things around, so I was glad I double-bagged to prevent any leaks from a bag coming unzipped in their search.

I also use the Rick Steeves compression bags for all my clothes. I was glad my delicates hadn't been handled!

Old Apr 10th, 2007, 11:16 AM

I tried to buy small empty containers that fit TSA guidelines. I found a number of 4 oz. containers (but almost no 3 oz. or smaller ones). I am wondering if filling a 4 oz. container less than halfway would be acceptable. Does anyone know?
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 11:24 AM
J62

gailw.

no, that is not acceptable. containers must be 3.4oz or less. The amount of liquid is not relevant, just the container size.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 11:25 AM

No, it is not acceptable to use bigger containers that are part full. I just take small toiletries that I may need during the journey (or if delayed) in my carry on ziplock bag, and pack the rest in my check in luggage. I usually just take an antiperspirant, a small tube of toothpaste, a lipstick or lip slave and a small jar of moisturizer. Ofcourse, almost everywhere has plenty of places where you can buy toiletries when you get there.

Carolena
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 11:34 AM

Something that BlueSwimmer said needs correction: "keep all your liquid or gel items to 3 ounces or less in a single quart-sized bag in your checked luggage." That last adjective should be carry-on.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 11:40 AM

>One can put any other (permitable) liquids, such as shampoo, in any size container in any size of bag within the checked baggage. I was also told it helps to put them on the top???<

A: Yes you can pack any size container, and any number of ziplocks, anywhere you want in your checked luggage (no reason for them to be on top).
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 12:19 PM

Oops- Robespierre is correct- I meant carryon! Still feeling the effects of too much time spent on airplanes and too little time asleep!
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 02:03 PM

As long as the time on airplanes is well-spent!
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 02:12 PM

The US TSA folks are not into confiscating prescription bottle caps these days are they?

I was surprised last year in Zürich when all of my prescription container caps, regardless of what was in the container, was confiscated. Paper was stuffed into the container to keep the contents from going everywhere.

I trust TSA has not descended to that level of silliness.
(Have not flown since last September.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO