Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Experiences with these Berlin hotels? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/experiences-with-these-berlin-hotels-492803/)

lisa_chicago Dec 29th, 2004 06:41 AM

Experiences with these Berlin hotels?

I'm starting to plan my July trip to Berlin and have put together a list of hotels where we are thinking of staying; Berlin Marriott, Grand Hotel Esplanade, Alexander Plaza and Radisson.

Any feedback from travelers who have stayed at any of these hotels? Good/Bad/Ugly. Any help would be greatly appreciated (my first trip to Germany)! Thanks much!

kfusto Dec 29th, 2004 06:46 AM

I stayed at the Westin in 2002 and it was just fabulous!

Betsy Dec 29th, 2004 07:06 AM

We totally loved the Marriott. New hotel in a great location. It was very quiet, and the staff were friendly and professional. We paid $55/night for a double through Priceline, which was the bargain of the century, IMHO. I was ready to cancel the rest of the trip just to stay at this comfy hotel! By the way, we don't usually stay in American chain hotels when we travel in Europe, but this was a happy exception. If you're interested in Priceline, go to www.biddingfortravel.com and do your homework before you bid.

KarenE Jan 4th, 2005 08:14 AM

Another vote for the Marriott because of the location at Potsdamer Platz (best location in all of Berlin!!!). Other nice hotels are The Madison, the Grand Hyatt and of course the Ritz Carlton (all Potsdamer Platz).

lisa_chicago Jan 9th, 2005 06:42 PM

Betsy-wow, what an amazing deal! We ended up booking at the Ritz.

Betsy Jan 9th, 2005 07:36 PM

Haben Sie eine gute Reise, Lisa!

hsv Jan 10th, 2005 12:57 AM

The Grand Hotel Esplanade was Berlin's first design oriented hotel. This was back at the end of the eighties/ beginning of the nineties.
Although they have maintained their five star rating, I think atmosphere is a bit on the cool side and it seems a bit faded. Its location isn't that convenient either, I think.
Of those you mention, the Marriott and the Radisson are very appealing.
The Marriott is a new property on Potsdamer Platz, a revived formerly "death strip" (from days when there was still the wall) area. It is next to the Ritz Carlton and a truly nice hotel for the price.
The Radisson is also brand new. It is in Mitte district, right next to the Museum Island. It is a bit modern in design and features a spectecularly large aquarium in its atrium lobby which you can also watch from some of the rooms.
I cannot comment on the Alexander Plaza.
Bottom line is: I am torn between the Marriott and the Radisson and would make my decision based on price.

Apart from that, Berlin's hotel that I enjoy most is the Grand Hyatt on Potsdamer Platz. Tastefully modern design, gracious service and a fantastic rooftop- pool, fitness center and spa. Might be a bit more expensive than the Radisson and Marriott, but if you might be able to swing it...;-)

travelgirl_67 Jan 14th, 2005 05:45 AM

Lisa: I stayed at the Ritz in December and had a wonderful stay! I never wanted to leave my room it was so fabulous. One big tip...try to avoid making any phone calls from your room as it is very expensive! They charge you by the minute (even for local calls)...I called a friend in Berlin and we talked for 45 minutes, when I checked out I discovered the call cost me 66 euro...YIKES!

If you get a chance, swing by Le Bar du Paris Bar Tuesday through Saturday night (no earlier than 11) ...my friend Robin Hemmingway sings at the bar. He's an old dyed in the wool R&B with some rock songs sprinkled in singer. Tell him Lesa Underwood sent you.

Have a great time!

lisa_chicago Jan 17th, 2005 05:02 PM

Thanks all!
travelgirl_67- thanks for the tip. I'll be traveling in July and will most definitely make it a point to look for your friend.