Reload this Page >

Experienced Traveler; Inexperienced ATM user

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2000, 06:27 PM
Rudy

Right up front: I have very little experience using an ATM card. I hardly ever use them in the U.S., and overseas I have always converted travelers' checks in banks or used my charge card. On this trip to Spain, however, I'm going to try to use my ATM card (PLUS). Now here come the basic questions: Do the machines there work just like the machines here? Are there English instructions? What do you do if your card doesn't come back or you don't get the right amount of money? Any other tips I should know about? Thanks to any of you who are kind enough to help this neophyte in international electronic banking.

Old Jan 28th, 2000, 06:52 PM
the turnip

I'm with you Rudy. I have NEVER used my ATM card here in the USA. Ever. However, on our last three trips to Europe that's all we've used. We have had very little if any problems. Here are a few suggestions. <BR> <BR>1. Bring both a VISA and a Mastercard. Every once in awhile we hit a spot that would accept one and not the other, or one would work and not the other. Bring both and cover yourself. <BR> <BR>2. Make sure you have a 4 digit PIN number. <BR> <BR>3. Almost every ATM has English instructions. If one eats your card, call the card company. <BR> <BR>4. The smaller the town the better chances are you'll have trouble finding a machine. Try not to run to low on cash when out in the boonies, so that you can avoid getting stuck with little or no access to cash. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps and hope your trip is a great success. <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 28th, 2000, 06:52 PM
Bob Brown

Hi Rudy. I will share with you my experiences where ATM machines in Europe are concerned. Then you can judge for yourself and take an appropriate course of action. On our last two trips to Europe, we had American Express checks with us as well as our ATM cards and standard credit cards. <BR>Our ATM cards are actually check cards (debit cards)issued by the Bank of America and they carry the Visa symbol. I use them regularly at home to withdraw money from branch banks. <BR> <BR>In Europe, I found that the debit (check) cards work well for withdrawing local currency. So well in fact that last summer we cashed none of our travelers checks. <BR> <BR>In Paris there was a branch of some bank I had never heard of about 100 feet from the entrance to our hotel. I used it exclusively for supplies of French currency. We used our credit card where possible, but the ATM machine supplied money for our other needs. <BR>In Switzerland last summer, our cards worked equally well. We got off the train from Paris in Lausanne and headed toward the Avis office, which is close to the train station. On the way, I withdrew Swiss francs. I successfully repeated the withdrawal a few days later in Lauterbrunnen. <BR>Two years ago, we were successful in using the cards even in small towns like Saas Grund because the banks were branches of large institutions. <BR>The only slight problem I had was two years ago in Switzerland. When we arrived at the Zurich airport, the ATM was out of order. So we cashed one check. In Lauterbrunnen, one of the two banks would take only Master Card inscribed debit cards; and the other bank would take only VISA. Fortuntely, my debit (check) card is VISA, so I had no trouble once I tried it at a bank that had the Visa symbols. In Luzern, we had no trouble at all. <BR>Even though the ATM machines seem to work well, I will always have a reserve of AE checks. I also take along a little of the currency of the first nation I visit to keep me going until I can find a convenient ATM machine. Usually airports have them, but it is not always convenient to locate one. So I have enough currency for cab fare and a meal or two just in case. <BR>I don't like to buy foreign currency in the USA because it is about 5% more expensive than using the ATMs, so what I purchase is strictly for my convenience. <BR> <BR>So far, Bank of America lets me have two overseas withdrawals "on the house". After the second one, I have to pay $1.50 per transaction. To summarize, I arrive with a little currency to get me going, use my credit card frequently, rely on the debit (check) card for local currency, and have a reserve supply of traveler's checks -- just in case. <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 28th, 2000, 07:34 PM
Anna

Be sure to check with your bank to be sure the Plus network is available in Spain. My sister has a Plus card and was horrified to find that it was not available anywhere in Austria, even though she had no trouble finding a machine in Germany, so assumed she would have no problem. Often european machines do not accept all cards and you must search around to find one that takes your card.

Old Jan 28th, 2000, 09:06 PM
Dee

I have travelled to Europe many times in the last few years, both on business and pleasure, and I think ATM/debit cards are the way to go! Not only is it easy, but the best part is that you get a much better exchange rate than you could ever get by changing travellers' cheques! The exchange rate on ATM withdrawls, debit cards, and credit card purchases, is at the million dollar rate! Which is a lot higher than changing it on the streets! I only take a little $ in cheques and rely the rest on plastic, hasn't failed me yet!

Old Jan 29th, 2000, 05:48 AM
howard

A couple additional comments: <BR>1. If Spain is anything like Italy, most ATMs will offer an English-language option. I came across one in Florence that was only in Italian. After a brief moment of panic (afraid that I would lose my card), I saw the word "annulla," and I pressed that button, correctly assuming that it meant cancel. I got my card back and just went to another machine. That onlyh happened once. I suggest you learn the Spanish for for cancel---just in case! <BR>2. My wife and I each took our ATM cards (two accounts) for another "just in case" situation. If mine was rejected, eaten up or lost, we could use hers. <BR>3. ATMs definitely give you the best exchange rate.

Old Jan 29th, 2000, 08:59 AM
bo_jack

My wife and I typically leave the US with only $300 cash for a 2 week trip. We rely almost entirely on ATM & credit cards. Since you say you seldom use them in the US, I recommend the following (some also appear in earlier posts). <BR>1) Be sure you have a 4-digit pin number. Most european ATM keypads display numbers only; and they accept only 4 digits. <BR>2) Try to have at least two separate cards that use two of the networds. Cirrus and Maestro -- as well as Plus -- are fairly common in Europe. <BR>3) Be aware that if you input you PIN incorrectly more than 2 consecutive times SOME ATMs are programmed to retain the card for security purposes -- so if you fail twice at the same machine DO NOT try it a third time on that machine. I do not know if this is machine-specific or network-specific programming. <BR>4) Start using the card in the US for getting cash. Use it at least a few times at machines that are not served by the issuing bank, even if you pay an extra fee. -- This just to get accustomed to the process and to various machine configurations (not that there is a lot of variation). <BR>5) When in Europe, prefer to use machines at banks during banking hours -- that way, if there is a problem, you have at least some possiblity of getting help immediately. However, sometimes you simply must use whatever is available.

Old Jan 29th, 2000, 09:13 AM
Boots

One additional story. <BR>The machine "ate" a friend's card in France. The bank was closed for the day. Since she did not speak French, I accompanied her to the bank the next morning where she showed her passport and was immediately given her card. If you don't speak Spanish, you may want to ask someone who does to tell you how to say that the machine has not returned your card. Boots <BR>

Old Jan 29th, 2000, 12:51 PM
Rudy

Thanks to all of you for your helpful advice. Hopefully I will become an ATM convert. Rudy

Old Jan 29th, 2000, 01:07 PM
Paul

ATMs are THE way to go. <BR> <BR>They give you the best exchange rate. <BR>You don't pay any other fees like you do with traveler's checks. <BR> <BR>I have been to Spain twice, all over, and I cannot recall a time when I could not find a machine - although I am sure that in the very small towns, you might not find one. <BR> <BR>I find the cards so reliable, that when I travel for business or pleasure to Europe, I do not take any local currency with me or any traveler's checks - I just go right to the ATM machine in the airport. <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 30th, 2000, 03:56 AM
greg

Although I have not used the card in Spain, here is my experience from using in several neighboring countries not mentioned yet. <BR> <BR>Having contingency card cannot be overstressed. Beside cards eaten by machine (and your schedule may not allow you to wait until next business day), your card belongs to other network, there is daily max allowed withdraw limit. This seems to be computed based on US day so what you think different day in Spain is same day in US. Also I have an experience with getting $0 money out of an ATM while my account was debitted over $300 (eventually reconciled a month after the trip.) In this case, if I did not have an alternate card, my withdrawal limit for the day was shot. <BR> <BR>Also I would describe English description as eventually get to instructions in English. While most of the machines gave English on the first page, I have encountered machines with no English instruction or a Union Jack icon on the first page. <BR> <BR>Also beware of machines available only in enclosed business premises. When the business is closed, so is the access to the machine. I had more problem with this in small towns.

Old Jan 30th, 2000, 05:07 AM
cass

Rudy: We were in Spain for 2 weeks last year and used our debit card in Madrid and Barcelona. All the comments and warnings above are pertinent, and I'll add two more: develop a relationship with an actual person at your home bank before you go and get some emergency phone numbers to reach her/him. We had no problems while there, but when we got back we discovered one of the Barcelona banks withdrew the money from our savings rather than checking (this was emphatically not something we did by accident, since we were not offered any choices on the ATM menu that were relevant). <BR> <BR>What I plan to do this year is set up a specific account and debit card for travel and talk to my local banker about being able to transfer additional funds only through telephone authorization (this was his suggestion). Will use credit card for backup. It may be overkill, but I'd just as soon be cautious rather than sorry.

Old Jan 31st, 2000, 12:25 PM
Robin

Haven't tried this yet, but here's a suggestion for those who want to get some foreign currency - <BR>http://www.currency-to-go.com <BR> <BR>(I'm a firm believer in using credit cards and/or ATM's while over there. But this sounds like an easy way to get some 'coin of the realm' before you get there.) <BR> <BR>************************************** <BR>DUMMIES DAILY(tm) Online Shopping <BR>January 26th, 2000 <BR>************************************** <BR>************************************** <BR> <BR>TIP: BUCKING THE SYSTEM <BR> <BR>January 26th, 2000 <BR> <BR>One of the most unpleasant facets of international travel is currency <BR>exchange. You either stand in line at your bank, hoping they have the <BR>currency of your intended destination, or you stand in line at the <BR>airport or hotel, knowing you're going to get shafted on the exchange <BR>rate. Currency-to-go lets you order any of 75 foreign currencies <BR>online, paying with your MasterCard or Visa for delivery the next <BR>business day. <BR> <BR>http://www.currency-to-go.com <BR> <BR> <BR>************************************** <BR>

Old Jan 31st, 2000, 01:26 PM
howard

First of all, why bother with a currency exchange, when you can get the currency from most American banks? And, since if you're smart and are only getting a small amount before going to your foreign destination, why go thru all the bother? (If you're smart, you'll exchange very little here before you go. As previously stated, there are ATMs at every overseas airport and train station, where you'll get a much better rate. <BR>Of course, if there is no convenient bank for you to use, then by all means check it out. <BR>Before, I went to one of those exchanges, I'd also want verify what the exchange rate would be. <BR>

Old Feb 1st, 2000, 06:31 AM
Ann

Although this is not a European experience, it goes to show how ATM cards have changed how we do business. My daughter was an exchange student in Beijing last year, and at one point found out she needed an extra chunk of change for an unexpected travel opportunity (an extra one week trip to Xian and a Yangtse? River cruise). How do you send that much $$ to China? You put it into her bank account, which I also have access to (she's a teenager afterall...) and she withdraws it the same day in Beijing. No wire transfer, mailing, currier (if you happen to know someone heading to Beijing at the right time). It was amazingly easy.

Old Feb 1st, 2000, 10:22 AM
cheryl

I have said this here before, but I think it's worth repeating. Rather than accept advice from others on this forum regarding ATMs, CCs, and TCs, please call your bank(s) to determine which is best for you. For example, my bank charges a $5 fee everytime I use a foreign ATM, so obviously taking out small amounts every day is not cost effective for me. However, I get free TCs, and if I cash them at an AMEX office, there is no fee, and I have never had difficulty in a major city finding an Amex office. It's usually right near a large tourist attraction. Call the issuing banks on your credit cards as well, as they may have different fees for international purchases. All cards charge a 1% conversion fee, and most cards then add anywhere from another 1-3% additional fee. Even with the fees, CCs are the way to get the best conversion rate, but try to use a card with a low fee.