Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Experience with one of the following Utrecht hotel/b&bs?

Jun 18th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Hello,
In August my husband will be going to the University of Utrecht for about 2 weeks and I will be tagging along. I've been looking up places to stay and was hoping to get some opinions on them. Since the city of Utrecht is so small, is there even an area that I would want to avoid? Thank you.

Possibilities so far:
B&B 'Ruisdael'
Apartment Kanne
Chambres-en-Ville
Elsa's Home
Ibis Hotel
Klein Zuylenburg
Jun 19th, 2007, 01:07 PM

Hi, Utrecht is a wonderful place and you will be safe there.
Jun 19th, 2007, 01:18 PM

Which Ibis? We stayed in the one that was outside the city center, actually it was in an office park area next to a highway. The rooms were comfortable and clean (no AC), very friendly, very helpful staff, but I wouldn't stay there without a car and without plans to explore the areas near Utrecht (like Amersfoort) rather than Utrecht itself. Most of the other hotel guests on the occasions we've been there were relatives and friends in from out of town to attend weddings, so they were sociable groups.
Jun 19th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

I was looking at the one in the city center at Bizetlaan 1 Utrecht 3533 KC. However, it's not getting good reviews on tripadvisor. I was wanting something under 100 euros a night, as I will be staying for 13 nights, although I might have to increase the amount I'm willing to spend.
Jul 4th, 2007, 06:46 AM

My wife and I felt perfectly safe the entire time we were in utrecht. Have you tried the Utrecht Park Plaza Hotel. It's a block away from the central train station/shopping center (Hoag Catherijn) and not far from the old canal and university area.
Jul 4th, 2007, 06:57 AM

I have stayed at the NH Centre Utrecht - which is reasonably priced in a very nice part of the city.
Jul 4th, 2007, 08:25 AM

I can't help with the hotels/B&Bs but it would be a good idea to stay near Hoog Catherijne and the station - to get to de Uithof your husband will need to get a bus, assuming he doesn't have a car, and the buses all leave from next to the train station.
Will you have a car or will you be relying on public transport during your stay? Utrecht itself doesn't have enough to keep you going for 2 weeks, and whilst it is the centre of the train network there are so many lovely places to visit near Utrecht which you can't get to by train, or even train and bus that easily.
Let me know if you want some ideas for places to visit around Utrecht - I live a 20 minute train ride away.
Jul 4th, 2007, 11:25 AM
DAX

We also liked the Park Plaza Utrecht for its ideal location. Rooms were just OK but we didn't expect much for 79 euro at the last minute.
Jul 30th, 2007, 07:29 PM

Hi sb123,

I agree with what has been posted: you will be perfectly safe in Utrecht. If you haven't made hotel reservations yet, you might want to consider The Malie Hotel - Hampshire Classic. It is located in a beautiful location (tree-lined street, quiet neighborhood) in the east of Utrecht. Its location would be convenient for your husband to go back and forth to the university and a short 10 minute walk to the city centre. When my family visited Utrecht in 2006, I had them stay there and they had a wonderful time. I believe the rates are 99 euros per night excl tax. Good luck and enjoy Utrecht