Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Experience with HomeAway rentals or this apartment in particular?

Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Sorry for all the questions regarding the reputation of apartments, etc. I'm kind of nervous about paying all this money and then ending up with a dud, so I'm double and triple checking everything before I pay up! Thanks for your patience! Anyways, I'm looking at this apartment from HomeAway.com and I would appreciate any information on this owner (if you've rented with them) or experiences with HomeAway rentals in particular. Thanks!

http://www.homeaway.com/France/vacat...is/p150301.htm
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:09 PM

That is a teensy place (20 sq meters). The photos show just the loveseat w/ the kitchenette/washer reflected in the mirror so things are pretty "cozy"

But the location is good, and the price is very good - only about €48 a night.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:21 PM

6th floor; no lift

I couldn't do it.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 07:38 PM

Assuming it is French 6th floor - that is the 7th floor US. But it does mention porterage for luggage. That plus the free phone calls makes this a very cheap place. But ONLY if you can manage the 6 flights up and down several times a day.
Jan 23rd, 2008, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Well, the small size isn't a big deal- the three of us going plan to be out most of the time. Also, we are all 23/24, so the stairs aren't so much a problem (my one friend and I see it as part of our workout since we won't be running or anything on this vacation. Thanks for the input!
Jan 23rd, 2008, 05:12 AM

HomeAway is a "by owner" listing site, just to make it clear so you really cannot generalize about experiences...every owner is different. (that said, I have had good expereinces in the past by owner)
Jan 23rd, 2008, 07:02 AM

Couldn't post last night for some reason..

My comment was the access to the mezzanine - is it what looks like a ladder in the photo of the kitchen? Also it looks like there is a very low clearence in the mezzanine...

And the porterage is part of a 60 Euro transport package...

Personally I think you could do better.....it's really tiny for 3 people....
Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:21 AM

I think it's awful, but if you like camping, sleeping on the ground, and really don't expect anything, it should be fine.

The term "mezzanine" is one used by French apt owners for the condition when they put in a wooden platform over things to hold a bed in an older apt., to increase space. It isn't a real floor. So that bed is basically a bunk bed, sort of. You can tell it's just a mattress on a piece of wood, so wouldn't be comfortable unless you are used to very hard futons or the floor, etc. I imagine the access is by a ladder, that would be the usual way.

And the other bed is a fold-out sofabed, of course, and those aren't always very comfortable. So that's why you really should not be expecting a lot from the bedding situation. That 60 euro porterage fee is something I wouldn't pay nor fool with. It would probably involve making an appt. at a certain place at the airport for someone to take your bags, which they will then transport to the room.

It really is very cheap, so as long as you aren't expecting much, I think it looks okay. It's really cheap and should be better than a hostel, maybe (although you wouldn't meet the people you would at a hostel). I'd want to know the exact address before I reserved anything. Sometimes descriptions of locations mention something they know will appeal, but the apt. isn't really there and sometimes not even that close.

It may be right between the Bourse and Montorgueil, and then I think the potential dudness of the apt. is obvious from the photos and descriptions -- size, bedding, no elevator, mezzanine, etc.
Jan 23rd, 2008, 10:13 AM

Dear Copper675,
I've no knowledge of this apartment but have stayed in small studios.
It really depends on your comfort needs.
Not that you asked, but check out Dave and Arylann's apartment, "The Garrett".(see on slowtravel and/or Google "The Garrett Paris". It's a small studio in the 11th and has received very good reviews.We've emailed the owner and gotten a quick response.
Cost is 300E/week.
Good luck,
Kathy
Jan 23rd, 2008, 11:00 AM

I booked this one for May and the owner is really nice! There is space for 3...

http://www.vrbo.com/28130
Jan 23rd, 2008, 11:50 AM

I hope everyone comes back and posts a apartment report as i'm a budget gal always looking for a cheap apartment in paris.

the one with homeaway is a great price but the low ceiling over the bed wouldn't work for me. the foldout bed on the main floor would do fine, however.

the #28130 from vrbo looks great though. lynda
Jan 23rd, 2008, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

According to the owner, the exact address is
5 rue des Petits Carreaux, 75002 Paris
From what I can tell it looks pretty good to me.

I know about the mezzanine and that not everything will be super comfy- however, I've slept in hostels that were incredibly uncomfortable and they were much less private. We are three college students, so we are basically looking for something that we can get for really cheap-otherwise this trip becomes nearly impossible- I'd rather travel and have a less comfortable bed than stay at home in my very comfy, but location-challenged, bedroom. We won't opt for the porterage if we take this apartment- we are coming by train and carrying our own bags is easy enough for us. As for the low clearance- it is only for sleeping, right? Main reason we like the mezzanine is that it gives us a little privacy at night.

Is the location (address above) a good one? Seems to be, but I've only been to Paris once before, and that was only for 3 days, so I'm not by any means an expert. If anyone has spent a lot of time in small studios, have those experiences been good? Thanks.
Jan 23rd, 2008, 03:32 PM

"And the porterage is part of a 60 Euro transport package...

If you look at the site, the two porterages are different things.

Yes they do a €60 "porterage" from the airport. But they also mention porterage of luggage up to the flat - not as part of the airport transfer.
Jan 23rd, 2008, 03:45 PM

Looks like the kitchen has a single burner electric hot plate, o.k. if you are making coffee/tea and nothing more.
Jan 24th, 2008, 10:13 AM

That isn't where I expected it to be from the name of "bourse" which they gave it. It's actually just north of rue Montorgueil, it's a street extending from it. So it is right on a pedestrian market street. It's above a pasta shop, from pagejaunes.fr (something like house of pasta or the Italian of that). Because it's the top floor, I imagine being on the street might not be so bad -- if you were lower, I'd worry about noise as there are lots of people on it, of course, that's the point of a pedestrian market street. It will be very convenient for buying food and dining out or cafes.

Since you are college students, you will probably like the area, okay -- there is some club I've heard of just a block over on rue d'Aboukir (Sentier des Halles). They have concerts there, mainly young French singers, I think. It's not free, but not bad for a concert (tickets around 20 euro), unless you can't spend that much. It would still be fun and doing something more "authentic".
http://www.sentierdeshalles.fr/

That is very small even for a studio apartment, of course. Some hotel rooms are about that size (and not deluxe ones). So it may be fine for you, but you are going to be in close proximity so I wouldn't count on the mezzanine to provide enough privacy for sex and the other single person down below not to be bothered or aware of it, if that's what you were maybe hoping (or vice versa).