Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Experience with Auto Europe & Insurance: Need Help Please

Experience with Auto Europe & Insurance: Need Help Please

Apr 6th, 2002, 04:13 AM
pam

Experience with Auto Europe & Insurance: Need Help Please

Just rented a mid-size manual from Auto Europe for France for a week (under 347.00)I am quite confused (they didn't help much on the phone with this and told me to call back on MOnday,which I will) about the insurance. There seem to be other posters as well with questions regarding car insurance on the site.Could someone knowledgeable please explain about the theft and other insurance coverage.
What exactly should I buy and if I rent this with an American Express card, do they cover these items automatically?
Merci.

Apr 6th, 2002, 04:58 AM
Wayne

You need to take out your American Express terms and conditions that came with your card, and that get updated by the company periodically, and read them carefully concerning coverage for auto rentals. I'm not an AE card holder, but I use Visa; and in past trips I have always referred to those terms and then called the toll-free number for Visa to confirm my interpretations. For Visa at least, they do provide insurance coverage for rental cars. In spite of that, you will find that purchase of certain insurance coverages is mandatory in some European countries. You will do well to follow up with Auto Europe to make sure you understand all their provisions. You can ask them to mail you a complete set of their terms and conditions of rental, then you can decide.

Search this Thread