Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Experience flying American Airlines MSP>LGW or MSP>LHR

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 08:13 AM
Tim

Hello.
Has anyone on here flown from Minneapolis to London Gatwick(changing at DFW) or Minneapolis to London Heathrow (changing at Chicago)? The MSP>LHR via Chicago is definitely shorter. Anyone's experiences with how on-time these have been would be great!

Thanks!

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 09:19 AM
xxx

Our LHR-Chicago experience with AA was earlier this spring. Flights left within minutes of the scheduled time and arrived a bit early. Planes were decent, service was decent, food was decent. AA has added an additional 2 inches of legroom between all seat rows in coach. It did make a difference in comfort.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 09:28 AM
robin

Tim:

I've flown the D/FW to London-Gatwick leg of your journey. American Airlines has two flights daily --- around 4:30 p & 5:30 p that go there. My flight left & arrived on-time for my trip to London of a few years ago.

Can't say how on-time compares to Chicago O'Hare. O'Hare is very busy, as is D/FW. I live in Dallas & try to avoid connections thru Chicago. Probably a regional prejudice, but seems to me that O'Hare is notorious for delays.

In your shoes (starting from Minneapolis) I'd opt for the shorter fly time & connect thru Chicago; that is UNLESS you're flying during winter. For a trip during December thru March, it's less likely you'll encounter snow delays with a D/FW connection.

Also, I think there's a somewhere you can get stats regarding the on-time reliability of a flight --- possibly another poster knows where that is. I do know there are certain flights that are consistently late.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 09:29 AM
s.fowler

I'll second the AA O'Hare experience. The 2 inches are a suprisingly big deal. You won't have to change terminal either because AA's international flights leave from their domestic terminal.

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 07:08 AM
Gloria

Hi, Tim
We have done both. Through Chicago was a cinch. My favorite way to London is on Iceland Air, however. The break is at just the right time. The meals, flights are very nice. The transfer from one plane to another is a breeze as the terminal is so small.
The fequent miles program is not so great, but, you could check into the partner's programs.
I took my three children to London on one of their $298 RT airfares.

We are going to have a Fodor's get together this fall in Minneapolis. We would love to have you join us. Details to be posted soon.
Gloria