Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Expenditure for 2 weeks holiday (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/expenditure-for-2-weeks-holiday-738736/)

Ju Sep 25th, 2007 12:28 AM

Expenditure for 2 weeks holiday

Would Euro2000 be enough for 2 person on a 2 weeks holiday? This is mainly for food and transport and perhaps some knick knacks along the way. Most shopping will be paid via credit card.

Rome: 3 days
Florence: 3 days
Venice: 2 days
Paris: 4 days

Our profile:
We are a young couple (mid 20s). Not looking at extravagent places for meals. Definitely will be doing on-the-go lunches for some days and DIY sandwiches. No taxis and mostly walking / buses.

Thanks in advance! :)

kleeblatt Sep 25th, 2007 01:14 AM

Just to verify, is this without lodging?

Ju Sep 25th, 2007 01:23 AM

Hi Schuler,

Yes, this is without lodging, train, airtickets. These had already been paid for. No transfers needed as the hotels (in Rome and Florence at least) are pretty near the train station.

J62 Sep 25th, 2007 01:42 AM

If you are asking if 2000 Euros is enough to budget for total cost, then I'd say yes.

If you are asking if you should carry 2000 Euros with you from the start of the trip I'd say no way.

Put the 2000 Euro (or local equivalent) into your bank account and use your ATM card to withdraw cash 250 Euros every few days as you need it.

Ju Sep 25th, 2007 01:50 AM

After all the horror stories of pickpockets and gyspy kids, we'd definitely not be carrying 2000Euro cash with us! It will be split into our bank accts and will withdraw as and when we need the money.

By the way, does the ATMs require a 4-digit pin no.? Back at home, our local banks uses 6-digits pins.

We are trying to ascertain how little (cash / in bank) we can get away with and charge mostly to our credit cards.

Jake1 Sep 25th, 2007 04:13 AM

2000 will be more than enough for two people who aren't looking for Michelin starred restaurants. You'll dine quite well on that budget if you get a bit away from the most heavily touristed areas in each city.

thursdaysd Sep 25th, 2007 05:21 AM

You need a four digit PIN. You also need to let your bank know that you'll be using the card abroad, or their security will likely block it.

Ju Sep 25th, 2007 05:58 PM

thanks for your replies.

Sorry, i forgot to mention that this amount will also include 1 day tour and of crse museum passes and entance fees to the main sites. We are not going to be visiting EVERY tourist sites but mostly the main ones. Plenty of sightseeing, phototaking, and of crse a good meal or 2.

What would be a good amount to take?

I think it's amazing how helpful you guys are, taking the time to help us with our questions. I really appreciate it tons!

JudyC Sep 26th, 2007 04:50 AM

Since you plan to take public transport, perhaps you might like to get a Rome Pass (around 20 Euro), for 2 free museums/monuments entries, some discounts for the rest, and 3 days bus rides. I found it was a bargain this January.

ira Sep 26th, 2007 07:18 AM

>We are trying to ascertain how little (cash / in bank) we can get away with and charge mostly to our credit cards. <

Most restos take MC or Visa.

Ditto for admissions.

((I))

suze Sep 26th, 2007 07:25 AM

I think that's good... 71 euro per day per person (if my sketchy math is right!).

With two weeks, some days you'll likely spend less, some more. If you feel you're going over budget, it's easy enough to cut back and have a couple low cost days, without losing out on any fun.