Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Expedia.com airfare from San Francisco to Paris

Nov 25th, 2002, 05:42 PM
Callie

Is approximately $610.00 per person airfare on United Airlines nonstop from San Francisco to Paris in August a good deal? Or should we wait for the travel agent to check with consolidators in Jan.?

If the price is pretty good, is United Airlines a good choice-how's their security measures nowadays, seating, etc.?

And we never booked through Expedia before. Are there anything we should be aware of?

Thanks so much.

Nov 25th, 2002, 06:08 PM
Jim Rosenberg

That's an excellent August fare for a non-stop SFO-CDG r/t and using United will net you usable FF program miles. If it was me, I wouldn't wait to book it.

Nov 25th, 2002, 06:29 PM
Callie

Great, thanks Jim.

Can anyone answer my other questions regarding UAL and Expedia? Thanks.

Nov 25th, 2002, 06:55 PM
umm

<<is United Airlines a good choice-how's their security measures nowadays>>

In the matter of their airplanes being smashed into skyscrapers, all US airlines, including United, have a 100% blemish-free record for the past 14 1/2 months.

Nov 25th, 2002, 07:01 PM
John H

Callie,

I also think that's a very good fare, based on fares this past August. However,

1) make sure you read the terms and conditions on Expedia (or any site where you might buy a ticket) -- see if there are restrictions, booking or other fees, ...

2) try United's own web site, as well as Orbitz and Travelocity for price comparisons

3) if you desire to upgrade, many fares (this one likely included) are NOT capable of being upgraded

So, I'd check some other sites quickly and then would be inclined to buy. (If I get the same fare, I usually buy directly on United's site for the extra frequent flyer miles for doing so).

John H.

Nov 25th, 2002, 07:03 PM
John H

Callie,

I also think that's a very good fare, based on fares this past August. However,

1) make sure you read the terms and conditions on Expedia (or any site where you might buy a ticket) -- see if there are restrictions, booking or other fees, ...

2) try United's own web site, as well as Orbitz and Travelocity for price comparisons

3) if you desire to upgrade, many fares (this one likely included) are NOT capable of being upgraded

So, I'd check some other sites quickly and then would be inclined to buy. (If I get the same fare, I usually buy directly on United's site for the extra frequent flyer miles for doing so).

Security seems as good as any (I fly out of SFO).

If you are a Premier member, I believe that there is now a premier zone on most/all of United's overseas flights. This gives several extra inches of room. If you are a Premier Mileage Plus member, you might want to call United and confirm that for the particular flights you are considering.

Happy travels.

John H.

Nov 25th, 2002, 07:10 PM
Jim Rosenberg

John H. makes excellent points!

Nov 25th, 2002, 08:45 PM
Callie

Hi Callie, I and a friend just - on Tuesday, Nov. 17th - booked our SFO to CDG (Paris) at ual.com and got fares for $483. including tax/fees. It wasn't listed as a special deal, though they come out every Tuesday with their deals if you have signed up for email notification.

We like booking directly with the airlines. And, you get extra reward miles if it is the first time you book on line - 1000K.

S. Clark

Nov 25th, 2002, 09:08 PM
Callie

I'm glad to receive so much advice from you all. S. Clark, I just signed up on the UAL site for the email notifications. Hopefully tomorrow (Tues.) there will be another good offer.

I tried Orbitz & Travelocity but for some reason Expedia has the lowest offers. I'm a bit nervous booking with Expedia as I've never done so before. I guess I should look over all the "fine print" more. I don't care for upgrading so much so that'll be allright. I checked the United site but the fares are over $1k.

Nov 25th, 2002, 09:41 PM
John H

Callie,

Sounds like you have done your homework.

One note on the e-fares: they are usually only for travel on dates leaving on the coming weekend or the following weekend. These will not apply to August travel (unless you wait to buy til August).

john h

Nov 25th, 2002, 09:47 PM
Callie

Okay, thanks John. I'm not sure if I can wait 'til August but I can check fares again early next year I guess? I'm not sure if I'll get it lower than $600 though-not for 8/03 I don't think.

Nov 25th, 2002, 09:59 PM
John H

Callie,

As the others noted, I'd probably buy at that fare now. I never saw economy fares this summer drop below roughly $800 on UA's web site. I think you have more to lose by waiting than you have to gain.

Expedia is certainly a "reliable" company -- again, just read the terms and conditions and make sure you are ok with them.

John H

Nov 26th, 2002, 03:49 AM
Karen

I have used Expedia often and have never had any problem. Their prices are usually comparable to other sites.

However, I would also check directly with the airline site - in this case www.ual.com, because sometimes you can get lower fares there, and bonus FF miles as someone else suggested.

United is fine. It's just like any other domestic (US) airline. I don't really understand why people think there is going to be a big difference between US carriers. Slight differences, yes, but they all use the same planes and the same security at the airports etc. Now, if it was a difference between United and Air France or something, that would be different. I like traveling the foreign airlines when I go to other countries, because the service, usually, seems to be just a bit better and you get a few extra perks sometimes.

Have a great time!

Nov 26th, 2002, 04:05 AM
ttt

Huh? You like to see your name posted here?

Author: Jim Rosenberg ([email protected])
Date: 11/25/2002, 11:10 pm

Nov 26th, 2002, 08:08 AM
Grasshopper

Sounds like a very good fare to me. I usually fly United SFO to CDG and I like the flight (as far as 10 hours on a plane is likable). One person's opinion; I really don't like Air France. The service was bad, the bathrooms got dirty fast and were not cleaned and the plane was cramped.