Excursions from Bergen, Norway

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a trip to Bergen, Norway. I would like recommendations for hotels priced around $200(US)+/-. Also I would like to know which excursions are best. I've read about two. Both leave from Bergen, go to Sognrfjord and return to Bergen in about 12 hours. One involves ferry-bus-train and the other involves train-cog railway-ferry-bus-train. We could also perhaps drive this. We would of course like the most dramatic views.
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 08:26 AM

Norway in a Nutshell, train from Bergen to Voss (Knute Rockne buried here) bus to Gudvagen on Norway's largest fjord, boat to Flam, cog train to Myrdhal, mainline train back to Bergen - can't be done by road - at least the most fabulous part of the tour, the boat ride - could even see whales - sheer cliffs - one of the most fantastic things i've done in 37 years of European travel!
Havn't done the long all-boat cruise from Bergen but the two hour boat ride on the Nutshell was enough for landlubbing moi. No need to reserve in advance - hit the booth in the Bergen rail station for tickets and info. Runs daily with more than one departure and can do in reverse - train to Myrdhal and train plunge down to Flam (the cog train stops for picture opts at some impressive waterfalls en route to Flan) then boat to Gudvagen, bus, etc. Possible to stay at some of the boat stops en route or at the famous Stahlheim hotel near Gudvagen on the mountain bus ride.
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 08:38 AM

For the record the Flåm Railway isn't a 'cog' railway but a normal adhesion railway with much of its length having a gradient of 1 in 18, which makes it pretty remarkable even without the incredible engineering en route. I think the main problem is not so much getting up but stopping coming down ;-) so it has five braking systems. More info at http://www.flaamsbana.no/eng/Index.html

As I have said in other threads seat reservations are required on some of the express trains on the main line section, so trying to book the day before (having got a weather forecast) is quite a good idea,

Michael
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 01:08 PM

crckwc...it does sound like one or both of your excursions at the Norway in a Nutshell journey (as described by PalQ)which is indeed quite scenic. That's a Bergen to Oslo route as you know and does go for a spell on the Sognefjord.

Other trips out of Bergen: a day harbor cruise, over to Oygarden on the coast which has a fishing museum also gas refinery, launch to Lysoen to see the oriental-style house of once famous musician Ole Bull. Really, though, you needn't take any trip out of Bergen in my estimation...just stroll around.

Our lodging was First Hotel Marin just up the hill from the harbor.

ozarksbill
[email protected]
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 01:19 PM

I have stayed a number of times at the Augustin, and like it alot. I think it fits your price range:
http://www.augustin.no/eng/homepg.aspx
Old Apr 28th, 2006, 01:35 PM

Another vote for First Hotel Marin. We got a nice discount when we bought the Fjord pass for the Nutshell tour.

Great location.

I can't remember how much it was, but I was with my dad, the world's greatest penny pincher, so it must have been reasonable!
Old May 2nd, 2006, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to each of you for responding so quickly. This is just in info I needed.