Excursion Recommendations for Greek Isles Cruise

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2005, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum, and hope you are able to help. My husband and I will be taking a Princess Cruise to the Italy and the Greek Isles this coming May. We are in the process of planning shore excursions, but are finding it difficult to choose which sites we want to see - so many great options, so little time. (In most ports, we arrive anywhere between 7-8am and depart 6-7pm.) Our ship docks at the following ports, and would we'd greatly appreciate your advice on which sites are a must:
1. Naples, Italy (excursion options include: Pompeii, Sorrento & Capri; Amalfi Coastal Drive & Pompeii; Sorrento & Pompeii; Sorrento, Positano & Amalfi)
2. Santorini (excursion options include: Akrotiri & Fira; Fira & Oia)
3. Rhodes
4. Mykonos
5. Athens
6. Katakolon
7. Corfu
A million thanks in advance!
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 10:36 AM

don't know about the greek options but it seems in Naples you need to decide if you want to see Pompei. If you do, then IMO I think the Amalfi Coastal Drive and Pompei is the winner. It seems the one with Pompei AND Capri would be too rushed. Capri is wonderful but not so much on a rushed day trip. The coastal drive should give you a good overview of this lovely area.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 10:43 AM

As far as Santorini is concerned, if you're interested in archaeological sites the excursion to Akrotiri is the one you want. If you'd prefer to visit a lovely, timeless, traditional Cycladic village then Oia is where you should go. Fira is the main village on the island and is good for lots of shopping options. Oia also has some very good shopping, just not as much.

Since you only have about 12 hours, in Athens I suggest a tour of the Parthenon, a walk through the Plaka below with a stop for lunch, and perhaps a ride on the funicular to the top of Lycabettus Hill.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 02:49 PM

Hello

Is this with the Star Princess - 12 day cruise? I'm hoping to take my wife next year for our 25th anniversary. I would really like to get a review from you. Perhaps I can give you my email address. Anyhows

1. Naples: Do not miss Pompeii. Truly awesome. Hire an audio guide or take a tour to truly appreciate this site.
2. Santorini: Hire a car and drive around the island. Lunch on the beach or overlooking the caldera.
3. Mykonos: The main town (Chora) is incredible and really picturesque. It's maze of "streets" was designed to confuse pirates and modern day tourists. Getting lost was really enjoyable here!
4. Athens: The Acropolis and Agora are must sees. Do try to get to the National Archaelogical Museum. An incredible display of artefacts. Lunch at the Plaka and shopping at the flea market.

Have a great trip!
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 12:45 AM

I wouldn't bother with an organised excursion in Corfu. Just get yourselves into town, wander round the outdoor market, sit and watch the world go by on the Liston, maybe take a ride in a horse-drawn carriage, and, if the sun's not too hot, spend an hour or two exploring the Old Fort.
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 02:49 PM

I second the advice on Pompeii, Akrotiri and Corfu.
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 03:36 PM

Our cruise ship spent about 10 hours in Rhodes and we decided to avoid the cruise excursions and we and another couple from the ship hired a taxi right at the dock.
We gave him our time perameters and asked him to get us back to Rhodes town two hours before ship departure.

We had a delightful trip, stopped at several places that are not on the organized bus tour, including a church with an incredable carved wall. We also had the requisite pottery shop stop apparently owned by the taxi drivers brother or something. We ended up in Lindos and toured the acropolis. A highlight of the trip.
We got back to Rhodes town and still had an hour and a half to wander around the ancient crusader city.

This was several years ago so I can't speak for costs now but it seemd to me that we paid about $45US each which was slightly less than the bus tour but I felt we got great value for our dollar.

I do seem to remember the taxi driver was a little put out with us because we didn't want to stop at his other brother's taverna for lunch.

Driver spoke English had a Mercedes taxi and we felt safe the whole time (except at the pottery shop until we bought something. Not as bad as the Turkish rug shop in Kushidashi though!