Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Excursion nighmares--wear your running shoes (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/excursion-nighmares-wear-your-running-shoes-237629/)

sandi Jul 8th, 2002 10:44 AM

Excursion nighmares--wear your running shoes

On excursions requiring tour busses, it is interesting how it is determined 'who sits where'. Crowd control, or lack thereof, is what makes a good tour, or cruise, better. We have been on tours where everyone crowds and rushes up to the front to get best seats, and the oldsters or the lame must struggle to the back of the bus. Scene two. Get on and drape sweaters and shawls over every good seat to 'hold' for others. If you are not fit enough to run for a seat, just resign yourself to the back of the bus--always, unless the travel company sets limits, rules and enforces them.

Redundant Jul 8th, 2002 11:10 AM

sandi: Was this issue important enough to post two separate threads? Not exactly a "nightmare", more like an annoyance.

xxx Jul 8th, 2002 11:42 AM

In my experience, the best seats and the seats in the front almost always go to the oldest people on the tour or to ones with a handicap.

Scarey Jul 8th, 2002 11:44 AM

This actually IS a nightmare of mine.<BR><BR>That I will ever be on one of those buses on one of those tours.<BR><BR>

anon Jul 8th, 2002 03:45 PM

am I the only one who thinks [email protected] is LSK? (whisper it now)

get real Jul 8th, 2002 03:51 PM

This is the biggest travel "nightmare" the author has ever faced? Merde!

alfie Jul 8th, 2002 04:17 PM

The humanity! Oh, the humanity!

Leslie Jul 8th, 2002 04:28 PM

I've been on many excursions for a day, and also a couple of multi-day tours, and never have I experienced what Sandi has written about. In fact the last few trips that I have been where I have taken bus or minivan tours, most of the people opted for the seats in the rear. <BR><BR>I've witnessed people give up their seats for others, share food and beverages, share experiences, and exchange addresses. Some have even gathered after the tour for lunch, dinner or a show.<BR><BR>In March I went on a tour to Szentendre, and I was the only person on the tour. I had fully expected the tour to be cancelled. However, the guide, who drove the minibus, gave me one of the best tours that I have ever been on. He customized it for me. Obviously, we could go at a faster pace, and I saw much more than what was on the "agenda". <BR><BR>I think it all has to do with your attitude. Sandi, you have to share, and sometimes you get to sit in the front of the bus, and sometimes you get to sit in the rear. Sandi, you might also consider hiring private tour guides. I have hired many and each one of them has been worth every penny.

handi Jul 8th, 2002 04:30 PM

Why exactly does one need a tour guide or to go somewhere on a tour bus? Aside from being a senior citizen?<BR> <BR>

Pat Klontz Jul 8th, 2002 04:52 PM

Our first trip was a tour because we were chicken to go on our own, but we are long passed that issue, I am happy to say. However, I have severe motion sickness on a bus, so I asked to be toward the front (not the very front just in the front half or so, mind you) so that I would not throw up and gross out myself and everyone else with sounds and smell. Almost everyone was kind about it except an anal retentive third grade teacher who had evidently spent her life making children get in line, and since I was declared exempt (by the tour guide) from the rotation system, she nearly lost her mind. I enjoyed every minute of her weird behavior. PJK

Snob Jul 8th, 2002 05:23 PM

Message from Handi: Why exactly does one need a tour guide or to go somewhere on a tour bus? Aside from being a senior citizen?<BR><BR>Answer: Because one 1) does not want to travel alone, 2) doesn't drive or want to drive, 3) doesn't have the time to plan the trip, 4) can save money on the tour. Any other questions?

handi Jul 8th, 2002 06:02 PM

No,that was sufficient,Snob.<BR>Don't get your knickers all in a twist,it was a perfectly ordinary question.<BR>Thanks Pat,that was funny and a good answer:)

Marcia Jul 8th, 2002 08:56 PM

Guess you guys have never experienced trying to get on an excursion from a cruise liner--people are in the lounge waiting to be first an hour ahead of time, in spite of the schedule, and they almost break legs getting to the bus first, pushing to get on first, and claiming seats for others. Surely this can be quite a turn off to someone who can't run to get ahead. OR how about the little lady that saunters to the front of the queue and elbows in? Does anyone mind, and what can you say that won't make you seem like a heartless wench??

amy Jul 15th, 2002 09:33 AM

Pat Klotz: You should either stay off the bus if it makes you sick, or take your lumps. What if everyone had "motion sickness"? People will stop at nothing to get what they "need" out of life at the expense of others. I am so tired of reading threads where folks say "can't help it if I'm fat", or "I got there early so am entitled to 21 lawn/beach chairs", or "kids are only kids, so can't be expected to behave on planes and in public places". Today's society members, for the most part, excuse themselves for everything. Is no one responsible anymore?

perhaps Jul 15th, 2002 10:46 AM

you should not have specified, 'why EXACTLY...' - the 'exactly' sounded a little imperious, a tad demanding. This may not have been your intent, but remember nobody can hear your tone of voice on the Internet. Also, just as you wish to ask the questions you see fit, people are entitled to react as they see fit, and not as you direct, as in "don't get your knickers into a twist." (crikey, what a condescending expression that is.)

Lana Jul 15th, 2002 10:56 AM

One question that comes to mind is: why would a person who gets motion sickness on a regular basis and violently book a tour that requires going on a bus? <BR><BR>I have taken river cruises and they have day trips on busses. It turns out most of the time to be unpleasant, people save seats, grab the shady side of the bus, spread out their own family to the window seats, throw their coats and purchase bags on the seat in front of them usually where another passenger is sitting. After two of these trips, I would never put myself throught that again. Let alone if I got sick too!