Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Exchange money in prague they gave me more (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/exchange-money-in-prague-they-gave-me-more-991206/)

anco Sep 8th, 2013 01:25 AM

Exchange money in prague they gave me more

Dear all,

First of all, sorry for my english, im originally spanish but i would do my best explaining for i just happened.

I work for a luxury hotel And thus i got some good tips, in this case 5050 Ukraine money, i wanted to exchange in check crowns or euros. After i checked rates in internet i found out The right rate for it, so i should get 471 euros. I was walking around visiting all office a negociating best rate to exchange for, i was going to The new office with my last best offer recieved in The previous office. So in The first place The offered me 370 euros, And in The last 430.

Well, in The last place The gave me by accident 590 euros because she confused between croatia And ukraine currency. I went out from the office really happy And 100 meters away she came running be home me claiming she did a mistake. at the end closed a good deal by 430, after all at The beggining i was offered 60 euros less.

The thing is they used to extorsionate people, And when both parts accept the transaction, i dont have why to give back The money, something i did cause she was about to cry. But i had to say this is not refundable i guess.

I would love you guys give me your opini!n about this incident.

jamikins Sep 8th, 2013 02:12 AM

You knowingly took more money than you knew you were exchanging. I would have corrected her at the desk because I would feel guilty about it, but that's just me.

Cathinjoetown Sep 8th, 2013 02:36 AM

She made an honest mistake but one which she would potentially have had to make good or lose her job. If the situation were reversed, would you want that to happen?

If the internet rate was 470, which is the usually best available, I think you did well to net 430 from an exchange bureau, although you could have checked with a few banks for comparison. Many no longer do cash conversions.

So, you reçeived a fair amount and did the right thing in returning the over payment.

sparkchaser Sep 8th, 2013 07:00 AM

Nothing to say really. You got 430 Euro which I think is pretty good considering those places live to rip people off.

Pegontheroad Sep 8th, 2013 07:32 AM

I would have returned the excess money. It was a mistake on her part, and she would have had to repay it.

Christina Sep 8th, 2013 07:34 AM

People make mistakes, I always correct clerks who make mistakes and give me the wrong amount of money or don't charge me the correct amount. And it is possible she might have to pay it if the company counts the money in the till at the end of the day and makes the clerk pay the difference for their mistakes.

I'm not clear what the purpose of this post was but I think most people in the world understand honesty and not cheating people and think it is the right thing to do.