Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Evora accommodations help (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/evora-accommodations-help-379118/)

LPacun Nov 27th, 2003 01:45 AM

Evora accommodations help

I will be in Evora in mid December. I have booked two nights at Solar Monafalim but now am having second thoughts. I have read on various message boards that it is very difficult to find, parking is hard, the bathrooms can have musty odors, some of the beds are not comfortable and the stairs are hard to navigate. I would be interested in hearing other experiences and/or alternative hotel recommendations. We will have a car.

mdv Nov 27th, 2003 06:57 AM

Istayed at the parador there years ago and really enjoyed it. Lots of atmospher, small , but well maintained rooms and great tiles. It still gets good reviews here.

YoungRoy Nov 27th, 2003 12:21 PM

Take a look at the notes and ideas in "Holiday in Portugal" at...
http://www.ottawaseniors.com/
We stayed at the Hotel Dom Fernando in October. It is in the lower town... easy to find, plenty of parking... not cheap but very nice... about a 15 minute walk to the major sites. The museum at the Se is amazing. Enjoy! Side trip... Monsaraz is very quaint.

Georgine Nov 28th, 2003 10:24 AM

Last week we stayed at the Albergaria Do Calvario in Evora. It is a beautiful property with very large, comfortable rooms and sparkling marble bathrooms.

It has remote control heat/air conditioning built into the wall. Great for adjusted your own comfort level of temperature at this time of year,which can be "spring-like comfortable" during the day and winter chilly at night, particularly if the skies are clear. The bathroom also had its own indiviual electric heater to keep the room "toasty" among all that marble.

The room decor is traditonal Portugese, and very tasteful.

We also had considered the Solar Monafalim, but settled on the Calvario because of its on property,underground garage and the super ease of reaching the hotel within the old city walls. It is on the north side of the old town, 1/2 block after entering the portal you turn right and the hotel sits on the left hand side of the street (opposite the Convento Calvario.

The portal (entrance arch) is off the ring road, which spokes toward Arriolos. You enter the old town on Avenida de Jesus Deus.

The hotel is very well-appointed and our room overlooked the gardens of the adjacent convent, with its orange trees loaded with fruit.

While in Evora, we walked through the Pousada lobby and I was not particularly impressed, considering its price as compared to the Calvario. (We payed 95 Euro for a deluxe double with excellent buffet breakfast.)

The property's only drawback is the 10 minute walk to the Se and Temple of Diana; however, the passage is along one of the nicest shopping street in Evora.

There are many festivals and gastronomic events in the Evora area between now and Christmas, so do make reservations quickly.

The town's only drawback was the curt staff at the tourist office---courteous and friendliness was definitely at a premium.

We just spent 9 days in that section of the Alentejo, and I'll answer question if you e-mail.

LPacun Nov 30th, 2003 06:25 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions, I decided to switch to the Calverio. In Georgines post there is also mention that there are, many festivals around Christmas. We will be there Dec 29-30. Do you know what types of festivals there are and where I could get more information on them??? Would very much like you to e-mail me with more info on the region.

worldexplorer Dec 6th, 2003 06:36 PM

I'm afraid this posting may be too late. Solar Monfalim is one of my all time favorite hotels. It is absolutely charming, spotlessly clean, with absolutely no foul odors anywhere during my stay, plenty of parking right out front and quite easy to find. The location can't be beat, on a quiet side street right off the main square within walking distance of everything. It was a former summer residence for a King, if I remember right, and has managed to keep much it's historic character, with period furnishings, lovely sitting rooms and plant filled balconies. Our bedroom was very tastefully furnished in period decor with a new large marble bathroom, firm mattress, small private balcony. We have recommended this hotel several times and all have been equally impressed. I wonder about this bad review you saw because even the description of the stairs doesn't "fit" the place. The stairs were literally 9 feet wide. I have pictures!