Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Everyone, what do you think about my SPAIN itinerary? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/everyone-what-do-you-think-about-my-spain-itinerary-1030410/)

Khatraveller Nov 18th, 2014 01:33 AM

Everyone, what do you think about my SPAIN itinerary?

Hello Everyone! How does this itinerary look for Spain? Would love any and all feedback, thank you!!

The city on the left column is where I will be staying overnight:

Madrid - Fly from Bonn to Madrid
Madrid - Explore Madrid.
Madrid - Explore Madrid.
Madrid - Day trip to Toledo.
Madrid - Day trip to Segovia.
Madrid - Explore Madrid.
Seville - Train (2 hours 30 minutes) from Madrid to Seville.
Seville - Explore Seville.
Seville - Day trip to Jerez.
Seville - Day trip to Cadiz.
Cordoba - Train (45 minutes) from Seville to Cordoba
Cordoba - Explore Cordoba.
Ronda - Train (2 hours 30 minutes) from Cordoba to Ronda.
Ronda - Explore Ronda.
Granada - Train (2 hours 30 minutes) from Ronda to Granada.
Granada - Explore Granada.
Barcelona - Fly (1 hour 30 minutes) from Granada to Barcelona.
Barcelona - Explore Barcelona.

Rubicund Nov 18th, 2014 01:57 AM

That looks very good to me. It's not rushed and the time you have allocated to each stop looks right.

nytraveler Nov 18th, 2014 03:02 AM

I don;t think you have enough time in Seville, which is unique in Spain due to it's strong Moorish heritage. I think you can easily take a day off of Madrid (which we found quite boring - a lot like Chicago - nothing wrong with Chicago in Illinois but don;t want it in Spain - I go to europe for what is different - not sort of standard big modern city.)

lincasanova Nov 18th, 2014 05:46 AM

more time in Sevilla . Maybe eliminate the day in Cadiz or Ronda

cmeyer54 Nov 18th, 2014 06:08 AM

half day in Ronda would be enough. add time to Seville if possible

danon Nov 18th, 2014 07:27 AM

I would spend more time in Seville ( no day trips to Cadiz or Jerez)

Madrid being like Chicago is a laughable comment about the great city.
It became the capital of Spain 70 years after America was discovered.
Moorish heritage is extensive in Spain, but it is hardly the only interesting aspect of the
culturally diverse country.
Granted, not all travellers have an interest in art, architecture and history Madrid has to offer.

kimhe Nov 18th, 2014 08:58 AM

I would also suggest to give a little more time to Sevilla, the undisputed queen of the cities in the South. http://www.exploreseville.com/

Second Danon on Madrid, a fabulous city. The city center is made up of very different small districts, almost as a conglomerate of distinct villages with their own charm and characteristics. http://www.timeout.com/madrid/madrid-areas

Apart from the parks, the museums, the architecture, the theaters, the great food scene, Madrid has got fabulous nightlife. The madrileños are not called Los gatos/the cats for nothing. Good info about the city: http://www.esmadrid.com/

BigRuss Nov 18th, 2014 11:08 AM

The Toledo/Segovia double is a bit much - better to have more time in Toledo and maybe go somewhere just outside Madrid (El Escorial?) instead. Otherwise, Segovia is a letdown after Toledo and far smaller.

I'd take Madrid over Chicago - better weather, far better food (tapas and Spanish cuisine over Polish-influenced fare and the sorry excuse for pizza), and Madrid's version of Michael Jordan is still playing - you could see him at the Bernabeu.

macdogmom Nov 18th, 2014 11:29 AM

I love Madrid and agree with comments above. In some ways I like it better than Barcelona which has turned into a crazy over amped tourist destination especially for college age kids. I still will go back for the food and Gaudi architecture just stay in a quieter less touristy location in Barcelona. Also, I would train to Barcelona. Once you allow for airport travel and getting there an hour before plus going and arriving outside of city center, the train always wins for me. A couple of years ago we took the bus from San Sebastián to Madrid and it was great. Pristine interior, wifi and traveling with the locals.

lincasanova Nov 18th, 2014 12:33 PM

Train to Barcelona from Granada, macdogmom?.. no way. Flying is the correct, logical way to go.

kja Nov 18th, 2014 03:56 PM

I also think it worth adding time to Sevilla, perhaps taking a night from Ronda and another from Barcelona.

And FWIW, I thought Madrid holds some things that can't be seen anywhere else in the world. And I thought Toledo and Segovia sufficiently different that both merited time -- but then, I gave the area much more time than the OP.

Be sure to book your tickets for the Alhambra well in advance and try to visit during both the day and the evening.

Enjoy!

joannyc Nov 18th, 2014 06:31 PM

<< Madrid being like Chicago is a laughable comment about the great city. >>

I completely agree, Madrid is a wonderful city with so much to see and enjoy.

My first visit, I thought I would spend 2 days seeing the city and the other 3 doing day trips. I never left Madrid those 5 days and enjoyed every moment.

I had to schedule a separate trip to do those "day trips".... Which they were not! I did spend and recommend at least 1-2 nights in each of the places people tell you are day trips from Madrid. Think I spent 3 or 4 nights in Toledo, 4 nights in Salamanca, 2 in Avila, 2 in Segovia, etc. Well worth it!

Egbert Nov 19th, 2014 11:56 AM

Two nights in Ronda, I would get bored there.

danon Nov 19th, 2014 12:07 PM

I don't get Ronda either....

Christina Nov 19th, 2014 12:20 PM

I would think it fine except that you did only have one day in Seville, really. So I would add one day to Seville, and take one way from Madrid or Barcelona. Probably Barcelona since you have so many there (5 whole days). I like all these cities, but think Seville deserves more time as long as you are going there.

danon Nov 19th, 2014 01:35 PM

What cities " deserve" is often what the traveler is interested in.
It is essential to do research outside Fodor's IMO.
We all have different taste and interests.... I love a big city buzz and nightlife, small towns
are not my" thing" for very long, while other travelers find several days in Toledo or Segovia wonderful.

My objection is that some here completely mislead posters by statements like : "Madrid is like Chicago" or." Berlin resembles New Jersey".
Also, those who feel it appropriate to comment on the places
they have not visited in 20 years might wish to turn to google for more update information.