Ever used airbnb for bookings

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2013, 01:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We found an apartment in Buenos Aires thru bnb but when we tried to book thru them they asked we fill out their form to establish an account. When we finally got to the end we were not accepted because we "did not have enough activity on our Facebook". Our alternative was to make a 30 second video for them. It seems their shtick is to make sure the "host" and the "guest" are compatible. This we refused to do, told them if we wanted a dating service we would use Christian Mingle, that compatability host/guest was not important to us.
Old Sep 8th, 2013, 04:21 AM

So what's your question!
Old Sep 8th, 2013, 05:07 AM

Well perhaps the owner of the property want to know something about the people they will be sharing their home with (something I can easily understand).

(Not that I would ever let strangers stay in my home.)
Old Sep 8th, 2013, 06:38 AM

The question is has anyone here used airbnb. I have looked at their ads. I narrow down to wanting to rent whole house or apartment first thing, no house or room sharing. Not for me. I just have never found anything appealing or tempting to rent. The ads have always turned me off. If you are posting pics of an apartment you want to rent then make the bed properly, clean the junk off the counters. Even the profile pics of the owners turn me off. I am a marketing freak so if you want to sell me do the basics please. I stick to flip key, VRBO or an agency. Not saying there isn't something good there just not my preference.
Old Sep 8th, 2013, 07:24 AM

Yes - I'm booked in 3 cities for our upcoming vacation. I never had to fill out any compatibility forms that's for sure. I've had great communication with all 3 hosts and I chose each placed based on pics and reviews.
Old Sep 8th, 2013, 07:37 AM

They are allowed to do whatever they want. People on couchsurfing.com have their own personal criteria, also, it's their house. It's really a certain philosophy and if this place was renting you a room only in a place where they also would be, then I think that is why they did it. Sounds reasonable to me, actually, that you wouldn't want someone in your house with you that you don't like at all.

If you don't want that, you should have picked a place with different attitudes, that's all. I suspect you are going for cheap places where the owner is there at the same time.
Old Sep 8th, 2013, 10:55 AM

I've rented through airbnb and I've never even had a Faceboook account. Nor did I have to fill out a compatibility form. But every owner can decide what his or her criteria are, so you clearly chose someone who's picky about who's coming to stay. It's not an airbnb policy - it's the owner's choice. Find another one that doesn't require this stuff.
Old Sep 8th, 2013, 11:18 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I guess my question is what does a failed airbnb booking in BA have to do w/ Europe??