Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Ever thought of retiring abroad? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ever-thought-of-retiring-abroad-535553/)

jsmith Jun 9th, 2005 12:23 PM

Ever thought of retiring abroad?

If you've ever thought of retiring abroad (and even if you haven't) you should find this Forbes article on MSNBC.com of interest:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8147083/

brookwood Jun 9th, 2005 12:31 PM

Not until lately.

jsmith Jun 9th, 2005 12:35 PM

A truly cogent contribution, brookwood, I can't wait for more.

swandav2000 Jun 9th, 2005 12:36 PM

Almost constantly. In fact, I have my apartment picked out in a suburb above Montreux.

s

isabel Jun 9th, 2005 12:40 PM

Thanks for that link. I'd actually like to live in Europe before retirement, but it doesn't seem likely to happen. So maybe then, just don't want to wait that long.

SuzieC Jun 9th, 2005 12:50 PM

Yes... absolutely. With visits back to the USoA

uhoh_busted Jun 9th, 2005 01:18 PM

I'm just getting used to the idea of retiring period...if we can handle North Carolina for a while, who knows where we'll end up!

FainaAgain Jun 9th, 2005 01:33 PM

Since I hit 50 and signed up with AARP I am getting regular articles on retirement all over the world! Darn, can't retire now...

Every morning I open the Forbes magazine and look at the list. If my name is on it, I go to work.

i_am_kane Jun 9th, 2005 01:34 PM

Every day.

Cassandra Jun 9th, 2005 01:51 PM

Gee, "busted," how very stoic of you to have managed to survive North Carolina; guess you're ready for Lower Slobovia next.

We've thought seriously of retiring abroad but kind of lost hope when we looked at real estate prices in Italy and UK.

Wayne Jun 9th, 2005 01:59 PM

I was really serious not long ago about finding a place in Austria, my favorite country. I have a friend here who is a native of Austria, and he said the government is just beginning to relax its restrictions on foreign ownership of property, but only in certain locations. I'm not going to give up.

mabern2 Jun 9th, 2005 02:03 PM

We talk about it ALL the time!! We actually taped a “House Hunter” show a few weeks ago that we watch and drool over. It was a couple that wanted to retire in Paris and took a week or so vacation to look for an apartment there. I am SO jealous!!! Oh well….maybe one day.

Betsy Jun 9th, 2005 02:06 PM

Constantly. I even have a plan: we'd rent out our house to a teacher for the academic year and use the rent to finance the trip. Sept/Oct/Nov in an apartment in Germany, probably Bavaria; Dec/Jan/Feb in Italy, probably in Florence;Mar/Apr/May in France, definitely in Paris. Now if I could just convince DH...sigh....

jody Jun 9th, 2005 02:11 PM

Right Betsy..the DH's seem to be the problem!

jbee Jun 9th, 2005 02:41 PM

Jody-
That's funny because my DH had to convince me that retiring in Italy was the only way to go. Now I can't wait to execute our plan. Can you retire in your 20's without a trust fund? ;)

Seriously, working in Italy (that's where we've done our research) can be so hard unless you're an EU citizen. We may not be able to go <u>until</u> retirement. :(

BTilke Jun 9th, 2005 03:20 PM

We've been living in Europe for 6+ years now. Although we're still years away from retirement, we've already started debating where we'd like to retire. If we stay in Europe, we'd probably pick France. But we're not averse to the idea of retiring back in the U.S. either.
Living in Europe has its good and bad points. There are some things we really miss about the U.S. and some things we don't miss one bit.

mabern2 Jun 9th, 2005 04:14 PM

BTilke…I am completely jealous!! I would love to be able to find work in Europe to be able to live there. I have thought that if we could move we would miss some things from the US, but aren’t there things that you appreciate in Europe that you can’t get here? Just the mind set alone, it seems that in Europe it people take their time and enjoy life.

Just curious….what do you miss the most?

RufusTFirefly Jun 9th, 2005 04:23 PM

We've got too many close friends here in Maryland to retire elsewhere. Besides, living in a place seldom lives up to visiting it for a week or two.

Madison Jun 9th, 2005 04:51 PM

I have thought about retiring abroad, but I love my country, family and friends too much to leave.

Visiting a country for a week or two, while you leave all your cares behind, is a lot different than living there on a full-time basis.

When I do retire, though, I would love to spend more time abroad, vacationing.

SiobhanP Jun 10th, 2005 12:38 AM

I am a long way off retirement but we are talking about where we want to go already. I live in Dublin but some friends have bought outside Barcelona for rentals and eventually to retire themselves. It's put ideas in my headf :-) I would love to go either the North of Spain or southern France. Italy is the dream place but we could never afford it and the red tape is too much...unless I win the Lotto! I can't see myself moving back to the states to retire.