Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   evensong at st paul's (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/evensong-at-st-paul-s-377594/)

youngtom2910 Jun 12th, 2008 05:39 AM

evensong at st paul's

has anyone gone to evensong at st pauls or westminster abbey? did you enjoy it?

travelbunny Jun 12th, 2008 06:04 AM

I think St. Paul's is better or a least it was. The choir director is (was) Mr. Scott and he was great with the trebles...just be sure when you go that it isnt the one evening a week that the service is said and not sung. The day will very from church to church.

TimS Jun 12th, 2008 06:07 AM

I've been to Evensong at Westminster Abbey and enjoyed it very much. Sunday morning at St. Paul's was wonderful, too.

youngtom2910 Jun 12th, 2008 01:20 PM

thanks!

Ceidleh Jun 12th, 2008 04:11 PM

Attended both last year. Liked Westmister much more...smaller, more intimate experience and they didn't start until all tourists gone from building. St. Pauls started and tourists still milling about talking loudly - very distracting.

lupinelady Jun 12th, 2008 05:19 PM

Evensong is beautiful in either place.
Please note Westminster has a free
organ concert Sundays at 5:30 and may have other music during your stay, you
can check their website for details.

ChgoGal Mar 28th, 2011 09:31 AM

Has anyone experienced Evensong at St. Paul's recently? I'd love to go... wondering if this draws a large crowd and if I should expect to be able to get in?

flanneruk Mar 28th, 2011 09:42 AM

Vespers at Westminster Cathedral (1700) now has probably the best of the three major church choirs in London.

"if I should expect to be able to get in?"
Except for state occasions, overcrowding is never a problem at any of London's Anglican churches.

ChgoGal Mar 28th, 2011 09:51 AM

Thanks, flanner. I was looking at Westminster, too, but was going to be nearer to St. Paul. I'll make the effort for Westminster. Thanks for the inspiration on choral singing in an earlier thread... sparked my interest.

janisj Mar 28th, 2011 10:36 AM

"<i> I was looking at Westminster, too, but was going to be nearer to St. Paul. I'll make the effort for Westminster.</i>

just so you note that flanner was talking about Westminster <u>Cathedral</u> -- not Abbey. Different animals/different places.

ChgoGal Mar 28th, 2011 01:27 PM

Thanks, janisj!

annhig Mar 28th, 2011 01:57 PM

Here's the thread for the concerts given by the organists, sub-organists, and assistant organists at Westminster Abbey:

http://www.westminster-abbey.org/mus...ATE=2011-04-01

The son of a friend is an assistant organist there so I have to declare an interest but it would be hard to do better.

lincasanova Mar 28th, 2011 02:06 PM

I enjoyed St Paul's, but know nothing different.

We were told we could go into the historic "stalls" ( can't remember the true name for this area) instead of staying on the "overflow" seating outside on folding chairs. It was VERY VERY nice. No one talking or disturbing. This was one February though a few years ago.

Many people did not realize it was OK to sit "inside" that area where the choir actually was.. so many of us moved in there once someone motioned for us to feel welcome to do so.. It was so much more comfortable and moving.

ChgoGal Mar 29th, 2011 09:28 AM

Thanks so much annhig and lincasanova for the additional information.

mes2525 Mar 29th, 2011 09:42 AM

St. Paul's is a great venue for EvenSong. If you get there early, you probably will be able to sit in the stalls and tourists certainly won't be distract you. Westminster Cathedral (Catholic) and Westminster Abbey (Anglican) also have EvenSong Services if you are in the Victoria area. If you are at Hampton Court on Sunday, they also have an EvenSong Service. Some of the smaller churches also have EvenSong on Sundays - you would have to check their schedules.