Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   EVEN IF I WERE WEALTHY... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/even-if-i-were-wealthy-115490/)

To Shy Mar 29th, 2001 05:59 AM

EVEN IF I WERE WEALTHY...

Even if I were wealthy, I would still rent an economy to mid-size car. I would still try to stay at the $100 per night hotel rate. <BR>I would still travel off-season. I would still use the metro and bus system. I don't think I would change how I travel. <BR> <BR>How about you? What would you change if suddenly you had loads of cash to spend?

Robert Mar 29th, 2001 06:11 AM

Well Well Well, <BR> <BR> I used to think that way too. However, I got married and when my wife didn't see it that way, I traveled differently. On our honeymoon to Europe, we rented a Mercedes, stayed at $200 per night rooms and ate like kings and queens. I loved it. Instead of spending $3,000 on our honeymoon, we spent $7,000. I'm still paying for it, but I wouldn't change a thing. In fact, if I ever get the chance to do it again, I will!!!!

kavey Mar 29th, 2001 06:12 AM

Not hugely, in terms of type of holiday and so on but yes, i would stay in more luxurious hotels or ones in better locations. I would probably still rent a medium range car, but if i was rich enough i would always fly business class for the comfort and space to arrive more refreshed and ready to go. <BR> <BR>Of course if i was immensely wealthy the biggest change would be giving up work, signing up for a second degree, this time in something such as photography, and travelling far more often than for 25 days of the year... <BR> <BR>Kavey

kerrie Mar 29th, 2001 06:12 AM

If I were wealthy the first change I would make is to book first class tickets on the airplane. I think that's the most uncomfortable part of traveling! Second I'd get a new computer to do my research on. This thing I have is so slow! Then I'd use my new computer to book to best hotels everywhere. There's nothing like going first class all the way! <BR>

Sandra Mar 29th, 2001 06:30 AM

I would stay longer than the usual 2 to three weeks that we spend on a trip. I would opt for a month for each trip! Nothing like getting away from it all. <BR>And, I would bring the kids along (with an Au Pair, of course).

Mom Mar 29th, 2001 06:40 AM

1) Go Business Class <BR>2) Stay at Starwood properties as often as possible (and get/use those points!) <BR>3) Still go off-season or on shoulder <BR>4) Take our grown kids along for a week (out of our month-long trip) <BR>5) Rent a convertible or exotic car for trips to appropriate spots (Riveria, Amalfi) <BR>7) Hire a private yacht with crew for Greek islands <BR>

Randall Smith Mar 29th, 2001 06:41 AM

Good Topic!!! <BR> <BR>My wife and I have been traveling to Europe every year since 1987. We've pretty much done the gamit. One star hotels with bath down the hall, Bed and Breakfasts (a la Karen Brown), Cheap sub-compact cars, to Ralais & Chateau establishments (Cuban Cigars and Armagnac after dinner), larger cars like the Citreon XM etc. etc. We even bought an apartment in the Latin Quarter. I have loved it all and wouldn't do anything different except fly business class if I could afford it!!! <BR> <BR>Ciao, <BR> <BR>Randall Smith

Charles Mar 29th, 2001 06:41 AM

Most millionaires travel economy according to a Forbes report a couple of years back. I wonder if the new DotCom millionaires do? (Not that there are many left!) <BR>I like to travel modestly. I guess I am from the older generation, why spend it if you don't need to? <BR>Robert, that's the difference between our generations, I guess. (I assume you are probably less that 35 years of age?) I would never have spent $7,000 on a honeymoon even if I had the money. And, I would not have spent any money I didn't have. <BR>I am not judging you, it just illustrates a difference between our generations. I am glad you had a great trip. I am sure your bride appreciated it all. <BR>We travel well and enjoy every minute of our trips. I own a Mercedes and would still rent an economy in Europe. <BR>We have a lovely home, but would prefer a B&B to an hotel. I think it's the people we meet. <BR>It is good that not everyone likes the same thing. <BR>Charles <BR> <BR> <BR>

Cindy Mar 29th, 2001 06:55 AM

Oh, I'd pull out all the stops. I feel that I've really paid my dues and suffered plenty while travelling, and I deserve a break today. <BR> <BR>So I'd travel first class, and my car and driver would deliver me to my first rate hotel. The nanny would get the kids ready and deliver them to me well-dressed, well-fed and well-behaved. We'd tour until the children began to annoy me, then the nanny would take them to the hotel. I'd eat everything put in front of me, and my personal trainer would be responsible for shaping me up. My butler would pick up after me. I'd change my itinerary on a whim and fly back home when I darn well felt like it. <BR> <BR>But deep down, would the money make me happy? I'll get back to you on that one.

Rex Mar 29th, 2001 06:58 AM

Well, there's wealthy - - then there's REALLY wealthy. <BR> <BR>For sure, I would buy a great place and fix it up just the way I would like it. <BR> <BR>Private jet. <BR> <BR>And invite friends over to stay all the time. Special ones would get first class air on me - - or maybe I would even come pick them up in the jet. <BR> <BR>And free Fodor's logo ribbon pins for everyone in the world! <BR> <BR>

dan woodlief Mar 29th, 2001 07:09 AM

I would pick my hotel based on location, but I would likely mix in the luxury with the modest accomodations just for variety's sake. I would also still travel shoulder to off season because of crowds. I would never fly economy unless they were the only seats available. Maybe then I could finally sleep on the way over. I would be able to splurge more often on food, but I wouldn't neglect the other spots. No pretentiousness here. Definitely, I would still use public transportation because it is a fun learning experience. Still, I would love to rent a Ferrari on occasion and take it out on the autobahn. If I were really really wealthy, I would quit my job and become a travel photographer (for fun mostly). I would also have houses/condos in several spots around the world and have friends and family over to share the experience.

Gigi Mar 29th, 2001 07:18 AM

Fun Topic! <BR>I would own a small yacht that could be sailed worldwide. I would leave it parked on the Med and fly to it anytime I wanted. It would be comfortable and employ some gorgeous British sailors (who would only be happy attending to my needs!). <BR>Ummm! What a great thought on this chilly March morning!

007 Mar 29th, 2001 07:31 AM

I don't think that more money would change food for me. In my own city -- and on vacations -- the more expensive places I've eaten often aren't as good as cheaper ones. Lavish service doesn't impress me, either. <BR> <BR>Now, accommodations and transportation is a different story......... <BR>

Tammy Mar 29th, 2001 07:40 AM

If I were wealthy, I would extend my trips from 1-2 weeks to 6-8 weeks, I would no longer fly over to Europe in coach, but splurge for First Class. I would probably still travel in the shoulder season, just to avoid the masses. I would still take public transportation, but I would probably splurge more on hotels, that had bigger rooms and larger baths. Oh, and I would definitely not worry about buying something and whether or not it was in my budget, then instead of hasseling with and carrying it home on the plane, I would ship it home!

Thyra Mar 29th, 2001 08:20 AM

The ONLY thing I would change is to fly first or business class... ohh I have dreams about it.. "some day, before I pass on I WILL fly first class :)"

Annette Mar 29th, 2001 08:32 AM

I do like Gigi's idea. For me, I might be like the spoiled celebs and have a devoted entourage to travel with. Or I'd screw them all (literally?)and go off by myself to Italy and learn art restoration, then devote the rest of my life to perserving art treasures around the world - of course, all the while I'd never feel guilty about spending money on a good bottle of wine and I'd have cool dresses and shoes...and now back to our regularly scheduled floor mopping.

Jeanette Mar 29th, 2001 08:51 AM

The biggest difference would be that I would travel longer each time and more often. Lodging would probably be more central, but not 5 star as I don't like that much formality and excessive service requests. Food and cars would remain exactly the same. There have been times in my life that I have had the "full boat" $7000 type of vacation when I was a business owner etc. Many would disagree because money gives you so many more choices, BUT you may not be any happier or at peace with your world. <BR> <BR>If the plane trips get any tighter than I would like to have my own. First class for that much more money, I can never justify. I'd rather buy a student a meal or give someone a free ride through school who deserves it. I was born before 1950. Only a few of us from where we sat can play by this group's rules, which are LIFE IS SHORT- Play hard and pay later. We were LIFE IS ROUGH- Work hard now and get ahead.

Bob Mar 29th, 2001 09:18 AM

I would fly business class. I would still rent mid-size cars, but maybe a small BMW. I would not go for 5 star hotels but I would look for hotels with larger rooms. The hotel or Inn would still need to be small. The biggest change in hotels would be that I would no longer pick based on price.

carol Mar 29th, 2001 09:25 AM

If I were really rich, I'd buy an apartment in Rome and one in Paris, a cozy villa on the Riviera, one on the Amalfi Coast, and a one in Tuscany, and hire a cook, maid, car and driver whenever I was in town. I'd fly first/business class, of course, and stay in small, charming boutique hotels with character. But I'd probably still take advantage of discounted off-season packages, because I do love a bargain!

Austin Mar 29th, 2001 09:37 AM

<BR>If I were really really rich I would buy a private jet or rent one for my trips to Europe. <BR>The flight itself is not the only barbaric part of transatlantic travel---the airports are equally horrific coming and going.