Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Eurotrip in december (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/eurotrip-in-december-1072245/)

BalajiRam Sep 19th, 2015 06:27 AM

Eurotrip in december

Hello guys, planning to travel to europe in the month of december 2015. it will be a 2 week trip. have the following countries in mind - Amsterdam, brussels, spain, prague and austria. i know visiting all these countries are not possible so please tell me which countries out of the above list are a must see and a small itinerary is also appreciated.

pariswat Sep 19th, 2015 07:46 AM

All these countries are a must see.
Only you can decide what you want to see.

Prague and Austria are connected, as well as Bruxelles Amsterdam (and Paris and London).

Spain is huge and quite away from any of the others mentioned.

Mfg.

traveller1959 Sep 19th, 2015 07:53 AM

You have three geographical region: (1) Amsterdam/Brussels, (2)Prague and Austria, (3) Spain. Within each region you can travel by train, between these regions you have to fly.

Count one week for each region. So, in two weeks, you can do two of them. It is up to you how you decide. For a maximum of diversity, you should include Spain. This means Amsterdam/Brussels + Spain or Prague/Austria + Spain.

Be aware that in December it will be cold and rainy almost everywhere and days will be very short, with daylight between 9:00 and 4:30 (only Andalusia in Southern Spain will be mild).

nytraveler Sep 19th, 2015 08:57 AM

Um- in Prague and Vienna you are likely to get sleet, ice or snow as well as - or rather then - cold rain - since they're on the central european plain and tend to get weather like Chicago.

I would not try to add Spain to anything else in this time frame. I would do it alone or do either one of the two areas.

You say 2 weeks but we don't know how many nights that really is. Will you be in europe 15 nights? Or only 13 or even 12? That could make a difference.

But the main question is you interests. Without knowing that we are making recos blind. You have to decide what they are and so where will be most fascinating for you.

BalajiRam Sep 24th, 2015 04:51 AM

The time frame is really adjustable.i'm planning to stay a little longer so it will be like 15 nights so i can cover a lot. If december is gonna be so cold will january be any better..??

pariswat Sep 24th, 2015 04:58 AM

Official winter starts on 21 december.
January is usually colder than december.
But due to it being colder, it might - might - be less rainy.
In the north.

Tulips Sep 24th, 2015 05:10 AM

January may be colder than December, but December is more festive, with Christmas markets and decorations.

PalenQ Sep 24th, 2015 07:26 AM

To help plan your train portion and where to go by rail check out these superb sources: www.seat61.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com - download the latter's free online European Planning & Rail Guide for lots of suggested rail itineraries in those areas you mention.