Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   'eurosurge' - laptops (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/eurosurge-laptops-704412/)

djuna May 11th, 2007 02:27 PM

'eurosurge' - laptops

Has anyone used this surge protctor while traveling Europe? Eurosurge... apparently protects against irregularities in electricity (common in Greece!), protects your modem... has 2 regular sockets (US) on one side and one Euro plug on the other side. I'm thinking of getting this, OK call me neurotic, but I want to be sure my laptop is protected while plugged in, and this seems pretty good.
It's small, too... about 3x2 inches, 6 oz.
Any users out there? Pros, cons? Do I even need bother?
:-)
It is not a transformer... I know I do not need one.
Thank you!

logos999 May 11th, 2007 02:29 PM

>Do I even need bother?
No, you don't.

NeoPatrick May 11th, 2007 02:31 PM

Has anyone ever heard of anyone's laptop being destroyed by a surge in Europe? No? Me neither.

Operaman May 11th, 2007 02:47 PM

You don't need it. All you need are the proper plug adapters.

djuna May 11th, 2007 06:53 PM

>Has anyone ever heard of anyone's laptop being destroyed by a surge in Europe? No? Me neither.

Yes, I have a friend who did have it destroy the motherboard of his laptop. Electric currents ebb and flow like the tides sometimes in Greece especially... his got a good jolt and down it went. he was able to retrieve info once he got home, but that was the end of his work. (sound engineer, doing edits in hotel room at night)

So - despite some snarkiness around this board that is meant to... whatever... yes, I am a bit worried about losing the ability to write while away from home for a month.

kp May 11th, 2007 07:04 PM

I do use a surge protector (Eurosurge) when in Europe. But then--I also use a surge protector for my computer at home.

hetismij May 12th, 2007 12:00 AM

I use a surge protector here at home in Holland. We have been known to have electrical surges that have fried equipment. They don't happen often but why take the risk? The Eurosurge sounds ideal - small, light and it gives you peace of mind - so yes use it.

Heimdall May 12th, 2007 12:18 AM

Do you use a surge protector with your computer at home? If not, then there is no reason you should change your habits while in Europe.

I use surge protectors on all my electronic equipment (including computers) ever since when the electricity came back on after an outage, a power spike ruined my satellite receiver. I have a Belkin Notebook Travel Surge Protector, which is small and light.

Incidentally, I have been told that if there is a power surge while your laptop is switched off, but plugged in to charge the battery, you will be safe. You can then unplug your laptop and run it on the battery.

sshephard May 12th, 2007 09:05 AM

I was on a cruise of the Greek islands and the charger for my laptop quit working. I don't know what caused it. But I am inclined to use a surge protector now since a laptop isn't much good without something to recharge it.

djuna May 12th, 2007 11:06 AM

Thanks again..
Yes, I use a surge protector at home... so will carry the nifty little eurosurge along with me on my travels.