Eurostar vs. IC trains in Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2003, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be taking a train from Venice to Florence in early June and prefer to book my ticket in advance. Is there a difference between the Inter-City train and the Eurostar - other than the Eurostar being 17 minutes faster? I have been quoted the same price for both. However, IC in question departs at 1:30pm while Eurostar in question departs 12:30pm and I prefer 1:30 if all else is equal (don't mind extra 17 mins).
Old May 5th, 2003, 08:34 AM

In March I took the Eurostar and an Intercity train in Italy. On the Eurostar you are required to reserve a seat. On an Intercity you don't have to. You can reserve a seat on the Intercity if you wish though, if you want to be assured you have a seat. The Eurostar seemed newer, but the Intercity was decent. The Intercity had compartments rather than the seats all being in the open like on the Eurostar. I don't think there are any glaring differences, just the price and speed.
Old May 5th, 2003, 08:36 AM

Intercity is basically not only slower but also less confortable than Eurostar. In any case, it is a bit too early to book seats for an early June trip. I usually book my tickets no more than a couple of days in advance (except for some very crowded week ends, when I have to book 3-4 days in advance, and I travel by train in italy at least four times in a month) and I have never had problems in finding seats. Unless you are going to land in Florence and more right away to Venice, I suggest you to book your seats as you arrive in Florence.
Old May 5th, 2003, 09:27 AM
GAC

If you decide to travel on the Intercity (IC) train, I would recommend that you reserve a seat (particularly in second class) once you arrive in Venice. On the Venice to Florence segment, there is really not a huge difference between the Eurostar (ES) and the IC trains. Some people prefer the open-rail car configuration of the ES compared to the small compartments (six seats facing each other) of the IC. I myself have noted that ES second class cars actually have MORE seats than IC second class cars, since seating is FOUR across in ES second class, compared to THREE across in IC second class. This makes for greater seat density, attenuated perhaps by the full open layout. Also, if you have large or heavy luggage, you can place it in the much larger rack above your seat on the IC train. On the ES, you either have to leave large/heavy luggage at the end of the rail car, in a special area reserved for luggage, or wedge it between the seats (the racks above the ES seats are designed for small bags, like on aircraft). Some travellers don't want to leave luggage out of sight at the ends of the cars, particularly if the train makes several stops. To be honest, if you want to enjoy Venice for an additional hour, don't worry about taking the IC train.
Old May 5th, 2003, 09:45 AM

Another difference--Eurostar cars are air conditioned while IC trains are not. ... Actually, I think IC FIRST class cars are air conditioned. Also the windows have double glazing for a quieter ride.

If air conditioning is a factor for you, note that Italians in general seem fearful of leaving the window open to catch the breeze--in June a compartment with closed windows might seem a bit airless.
Old May 5th, 2003, 10:11 AM

Both Intercity first and second clas are air conditioned. In both air conditioning is poor and often non working. This is bad if you are ona second class, but at least most onf the second class windows can be opened at elast a little bit. If you happen to hit a first class with the air conditioning off duty it's hell. I have experienced it yesterday: I wasn't able to book in second class due to poor timin (I was forced by a friend of mine too optimistic to decide in due time to book barely one day in advance in a very hot day: the end of the long "ponte" of Easter, april 25 and may 1st, a serie of holidays that many had joined with a few days off the job for a loonger vacation), and my seat happened to be on an extremely hot first class coack with no air conditioning. I felt like I was going to melt away, during the thre hours trip from Prato to Mlano I have drunk 2 litres of water and once-iced tea and I have not peed a single drop of it. 8-(((
Old May 5th, 2003, 10:20 AM
GAC

The real question is whether the ES train would have been air conditioned in contrast to the IC train given that last weekend was unusually hot, and the air conditioning is often not started until later in the season. The fact that both ES and IC trains are equipped with a/c does not ipso facto mean that the system is working or has been turned on! Some IC cars, however, are older, and the a/c may be broken or malfunctioning.
Old May 5th, 2003, 12:58 PM

Yes, there are differences between the two types of trains as outlined by previous posters. Bottom line >>> take the Eurostar!
Old May 6th, 2003, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the feedback - Eurostar it is.