Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Eurostar v. Marozzi bus (Rome to Sorrento)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't want to repeat what other have asked, having read the prior threads about the pros and cons of taking the train vs. bus.

My concerns are particular since I will be on my honeymoon, want things to work well and want things to be stress free for my soon-to-be-wife.

I'm aware of the generally legistic differences, i.e. bus takes approximately 4 hours and goes direct from Tiburtina to Sorreto.

If we take the train, once we get to Naples we need to take the commuter train or a taxi. I'd probably have to go with the taxi, since my fiance' doesn't want to risk the commuter train.

The location of our Rome hotel is relatively close to Termini, so we could walk it. We would need transportation to Tiburtina if we are taking the bus.

The piece of information I'm missing in my decision-making is how far is Tiburtina from Termini? How long would it take by taxi and much would it cost? We aren't going to take the Metro with all our luggage.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old Apr 25th, 2006, 12:39 PM
ira

Hi ES,

>I'd probably have to go with the taxi, since my fiance' doesn't want to risk the commuter train.<

Just what does he expect to happen on the train? Thousands of people ride it every day - including school kids.

A taxi will be the most expensive way. I suggest that you hire a private limo - about 90E each way.

Old Apr 25th, 2006, 12:40 PM
ira

PS,

You can get walking directions for Rome TE to Tiburtina at www.mappy.com.

Old Apr 25th, 2006, 12:44 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The metro from Termini to Tiburtina is the 4th stop on the red line.
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 01:04 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Don't attempt to walk from Termini to Tiburtina with luggage - it's too far. It would be much cheaper to take a taxi from Termini to Tiburtina(maybe10-20E) than to take a taxi from Naples to Sorrento(maybe 100E). The metro from Termini to Tiburtina would be much more crowded than the Circumvesuviana commuter train from Naples to Sorrento.
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 01:09 PM

I absolutely agree, if you want things to be stress free then don't walk from your hotel to Tiburtina. Tiburtina is hectic, many buses going to many countries converge here.

I would take a cab to Tiburtina and then catch the bus to Sorrento, if you don't want to take a train to Naples and take a professional driver from there.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the help. If I were on my own, backpacking with my budddies, I might go for the subway/Metro. But things are a little different on a honeymoon.

Thanks again for the help.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 12:10 PM

I found taking the train from Rome to Naples, then the Circumvesuviana commuter train to Sorrento, very easy and stress free. When you arrive in Naples, upon exiting the train, just walk downstairs to catch the Circumvesuviana commuter train to Sorrento. It's not like a metro, more like a nice train. Most of the trip from Naples to Sorrento is above ground. I don't see any risks in taking this train.

Now, the Tiburtina bus station is in my opinion very unorganized, dirty and much more uncomfortable than anything I've experienced on the trains from Rome to Naples or Naples to Sorrento. If you decide to take the bus, take a taxi from your hotel to Tiburtina- 15 euros at the most.

If you can afford it, take the train from Rome to Naples and then hire a driver to Sorrento. If you want to save some money, take the Circumvesuviana commuter train to Sorrento.

Enjoy your travels!