Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Eurostar PREM fare London - Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/eurostar-prem-fare-london-paris-579637/)

grantop Jan 7th, 2006 01:35 PM

Eurostar PREM fare London - Paris

Kicking around a few ideas for some travel later in the year. Can someone give me a general idea of what a PREM fare for London to Paris would be?

It's too early for the fare to be available for our travel dates, but I just wanted an idea of cost. Thanks in advance.

francophile03 Jan 7th, 2006 01:52 PM

Too early to book now

BTilke Jan 7th, 2006 02:19 PM

Do they even have PREM fares on Eurostar? I thought those were only available on the French TGVs.
At the moment, Eurostar does offer regular cheap day return (round trip) tickets for about £59 and up in second class. Other specials crop up from time to time. Remember, you don't have to use the return portion. If a round trip fare is cheaper than a one way, toss the return ticket away.

grantop Jan 7th, 2006 02:42 PM

Francophile: if you had read my post I learly said "It's too early for the fare to be available for our travel dates . . but I just wanted an idea of cost."

I thought that maybe someone here had taken the Eurostar and had gotten a PREM and I wondered what I could expect price-wise.

BTilke, thank you, I appreciate your comments.

BTilke Jan 7th, 2006 02:52 PM

Keep checking the www.eurostar.com site and see what pops up. FWIW, in the past, I found I got cheaper quotes on their site if I gave UK as my base (instead of the US). Don't know if they still do that (we live in the UK now). FYI, the cookies on the Eurostar site are particularly hard-baked. You might want to clear them out from time to time.

TimS Jan 7th, 2006 03:43 PM

There are no PREM fares on Eurostar. Right now giving the US as your base will get you a cheaper ticket than giving the UK as your base (e.g., $90 US compared to 59 GBP).

jody Jan 7th, 2006 03:48 PM

I found the same thing..$90.00 buying thru raileurope ..and we bought enough to get free shipping and no handlig fee..better rate that eurostar..but we did ditch the return ticket.

grantop Jan 7th, 2006 03:53 PM

Thanks for clearing a few things up, and I appreciate the price guideline/tips!

grantop Jan 7th, 2006 04:00 PM

just another thing: do you prefer eurostar.com and raileurope (I thought they were usually higher priced?) to the SNCF site?

TimS Jan 8th, 2006 05:22 AM

I have to take back what I said about PREM fares not being available on the Eurostar. My comment was based on not seeing any reference to them on eurostar.com (either the US or the UK version). The only way I knew to get a cheap ticket was to book it as far in advance as possible before those seats were gone. Just a moment ago I plugged in some arbitrary dates on sncf.com and discovered that I could have booked a same-day return ticket on the Eurostar for E70.00 (plus a E4.00 booking fee). Although that ticket wasn't identified as being a PREM, it was highlighted in orange just like PREM tickets are. FYI, real PREM tickets are now available up to 90 days in advance (old maximum was 60 days). The current cutoff date at eurostar.com is May 5, 2006.

BTilke Jan 8th, 2006 06:20 AM

Tim, are you sure it's called a PREM fare? Because we've taken the Eurostar dozens of times and never once seen a ticket sold as a "PREM" fare. Special discounts, yes, but they were never called PREMS.

ira Jan 8th, 2006 08:19 AM

Hi G,

The cheapest fare on eurostar is the 60 GBP ($90 at www.raileurope.com) one-day RT ticket.

It is not a PREMS fare. It is a "Value Fare"

((I))

TimS Jan 8th, 2006 01:36 PM

I realized after I wrote my last post that I should have let well enough alone. I'm sure BTilke is right. Call it a special value fare, not a PREM fare.