Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Eurostar London-Paris--how to have them hold ticket for me at station?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 07:40 PM
vivian

Does anyone know of any sites/companies that will let me (as a US resident) purchase a one-way London-Paris Eurostar ticket and pick it up at the station instead of paying extra to have it shipped over? Every site I've checked i.e. Rail Europe, Europrail, Eurorailways doesn't seem to have that option. <BR><BR>I know that www.eurostar.co.uk lets you do that, but I just checked their Terms & Conditions, and apparently you have to be a UK resident to purchase through them. <BR><BR>Thanks for any suggestions. <BR><BR>

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 07:19 AM
vivian

Topping. I know that there are countless Eurostar threads out there, but haven't been able to locate the answer to this particular question. <BR><BR>Also, not sure why this is only appearing in the General/region wide subforum and not in the France & UK subforums as I had also selected???<BR><BR>Thanks.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 07:24 AM
Joanne

Vivian: Sorry I can't help with your Eurostar ticket, but there are no separate forums for each country. You select a country when you are searching for previous posts, not when you post a new one. All new posts show up in the same place, the left hand column.<BR><BR>Welcome to the forum; hope you get the info you need.<BR><BR>j

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 07:27 AM
janis

vivian - maybe to answer your question - there are no "sub forums". Clicking on a country only allows someone to find the thread when they search for a particular country. Many people don't even click on a country when they post. And most folks just scan all the treads on the Europe board. (But many DO search for a particular country.)<BR><BR>As for your original question - I haven't had to worry about it since I have a friend in the UK where I can have tickets sent. But I do remember several discussions on this forum re this subject and people were able to have their Eurostar tix held at Waterloo for them to pick up. Maybe someone can top the old threads or will post the info anew.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 07:40 AM
Jeff

In the past, I called Eurostar in London and they held the tickets for me at Waterloo.<BR><BR>Preferring to use the web where possible, I tried to do it on the web this year. The first thing that happened was I was supposed to indicate what country I was from. When I said the US, my browser was re-directed to Rail Europe. Fearing I would not be able to get as good a price from them, I tried again and went to the UK web site. Interestingly enough I went through every step. It even asked me where my address was and allowed me to indicate the US. But they gave no indication of allowing you to choose how you wanted to receive the tickets. At the end, they would not complete the transaction with the note they could only post tickets to the UK.<BR><BR>Others have reported on this board that they could call Eurostar in England using the number on the web site and they did say they would hold the tickets for pick up at Waterloo.<BR><BR>Hope that helps.....

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 07:48 AM
ina

Two years ago we purchased train tickets through travel agency and they gave us ticket voucher and when we got to London we picked the tickets in the station. They didn’t charge us any additional cost.<BR>Have a nice journey<BR>

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 08:27 AM
vivian

Thank you, all. <BR><BR>Sounds like calling Eurostar UK directly may be my best option. I'll keep an eye out for any other suggestions from others too. <BR><BR>Also, re: the different country searches, I am one of those people who don't skim the whole forum as I've found it a little overwhelming at times--I've just stuck to viewing threads for the 2 countries I'm going to for this trip. I found it odd that when I asked to view just France/UK my thread was nowhere to be found, yet it did appear when I selected General! Perhaps just a weird technical glitch.<BR><BR>But anyway, thanks again. <BR>

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 06:00 PM
vivian

Hi, just an update on my Eurostar ticket purchase (perhaps this info will be useful to someone else).<BR><BR>I did end up booking a ticket directly by telephone through Eurostar UK (or whatever the official name is). Please note though that the phone number listed at www.eurostar.co.uk (dialing from the US 011-44-87-0518-6186) does not work when you call in from outside the UK. This may be a recent policy since I know someone on this board was able to do so some time ago. <BR><BR>I only discovered this fact after dialing a couple of times and getting what sounded like a busy signal. I finally called their customer service number (011-44-20-7928-5163) and a rep told me to use this number instead, which is accessible from overseas: 011-44-12-3361-7575. <BR><BR>I was able to book a ticket and have them hold it at Waterloo with no problem using that number, and was able to get the ticket price listed at www.eurostar.co.uk. Just FYI, I was told that if I wanted, I could also have had it shipped at no extra charge to my US address (it would arrive in roughly 2 weeks). <BR><BR>Glad to get this ticket purchase out of the way and concentrate on more fun aspects of trip planning! <BR><BR>Thanks again to all who responded to this post!

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 10:18 AM
vivian

topping for Melissa